Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Date Knight

First, I'd like to make a few things clear:
1. I am not employed by Chik fil a 
2. I'm not addicted to Chik fil a
3. We like Chik fil a. A lot.
4. Ethan owns other shirts. 
Moving on...

Our local Chik fil a hosted a mother-son Date Knight last weekend. Not really knowing whether or not Ethan would want to go with me (he's pretty much a daddy-only kinda guy), I signed us up. I never told him about it, until he woke up from his nap, about an hour before the event.
"Ethan, would you like to go on a date with me?"
"You mean like when Mater went on a date with Holly?"
"Yeah."
"Just me and you?"
"Yup."
"YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!"
He then proceeded to immediately put on his shoes and proclaim, "I'm going on a DATE!! Just me and mommy!" over and over until we left. He even helped me get ready and requested that I wear a skirt for the event.

 It was quite possibly the most fun I have ever had with Ethan. Ever. He talked non stop the entire night (which is big for him, he usually lets Kate do the talking) and used the words "just me and you" at least 30 times.



Sweet, sweet boy.

Speaking of this sweet boy of mine, here's a crazy story for you. A couple of weeks ago, he burned his finger on the stove. I had JUST told him not to touch it, so at first he wouldn't tell me what happened. He thought he would be in trouble. We ran it under cold water for a good 10 minutes and then he never said anything again and I completely forgot about it. Then, a week later, he told me to look at his finger and there was a little yellow/green dot on the tip, which I thought was a booger. Turns out, it wasn't a booger, but an infection growing inside the blister of the burn (a blister I had not noticed till then; I just hope it was because it hadn't bothered him till then and not because he was too scared to tell me). Anyway, over the next 24 hours, the blister quadrupled in size, it was hot and painful, so I made an apt with his pediatrician. The doctor drained it, removed the skin (he was honestly SO brave), and biopsied the green goo in fear of a staph infection. Results came back Monday morning. No staph infection, but... strep. In his finger. I don't know just how rare this is, but the nurse seemed to think it was pretty strange. Luckily, they had started him on antibiotics just in case so at least it didn't spread to his throat. But it did spread to someone's throat... mine! Lucky me. I haven't had strep since I was a kid, and let me tell you, strep. is. no. joke. I got on antibiotics first thing Monday morning and to be honest, the symptoms haven't really subsided. I'm in so much pain, I'm taking post-delivery meds and that hardly helps. I guess being 30 is no joke either: Recovery time is a lot longer than when I was 15!

Moral of the story: If you go on a date with your son, he might give you strep throat.
But it will still be worth it.
Most of you reading this probably think it's a lame story. But we are NOT frequent visitors to the doctor (we're talking well-visits and maybe one other visit per year per family), so twice in one week is definitely a record for us.

8 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm so glad you and Ethan had fun! I LOVE one.on.one time with Nate - I'm sure it's harder to do when you have twinners.

It's like we're 2 new people - he has all of my attention and we're usually out doing something fun & it's wonderful.

Glad you enjoyed it. And BRAVE Ethan with strep in your FINGER! Holy smokes - that is strange!

KellySummer said...

I've never had strep but after experiencing Hand Foot and Mouth at the same time my kids did and watching them smile and move and act like living people whereas i thought i was going to die or at least pass out at any moment, I have a whole lot more respect for kids and their pain and sickness tolerance. I hope you feel better soon!

Erin said...

Dates with your little boy are always so much fun. Nate and I just went to a paint your own pottery place and had a blast together!

Love the "Humor Me" post. Your house is beautiful and good job on the curtains. I can't even do that!

Jean said...

Awww, how cute!!! Weston is obsessed with Mommy-and-Weston time. (He always says that he's so excited for "just Mommy and Weston and no Daddy and no Cole". Hahaha!) And I love these awesome events that your CFA does. Nice.

I can't believe you got strep throat from his finger. That is so random. Hope you guys are all better soon!!

Melanie said...

First of all, I can't believe Ethan still takes a nap! Lucky you!

What a fun date. He looks like one happy kid! Strep throat is THE WORST. Hope you're feeling better now.

Alissa said...

Yuck! (The strep that is. Not the date). I just diagnosed Anna with strep today and am so so so hoping no one else gets it. Fingers crossed.

The Skeehan Family said...

That might be the sweetest thing I have ever heard. What a darling darling darling boy.

And geeze louise about the strep! I am so sorry. A) What a brave little boy... and B) I'm thinking back to graduation when you had mono and you showed me your throat and I nearly lost it right there. PLEASE tell me it's not that bad.

Monica said...

I love these stories--so sweet how he just adored that one-on-one attention.

Hope you're feeling better!