Okay, so I told you I would. And here's your one-day warning. I'm going on a spending fast for the month of February and I'm calling for anyone to join. Here are the rules:
- Don't buy anything
That's it. Okay, that's not the only rule. You should pay your bills, of course. And buy gas. And you should feed your family, so you'll have to buy groceries. But stretch yourself. Give yourself a budget that you don't normally stick to. For us, it's $100 a week. My incredible friend, Cami, only spends $50 a week, but I have two more mouths to feed. And they eat $50 a week in food. No, that can't be right. I guess I'm just not as good as she is. Whatever is it, stick to it. And if you go under one week, you get to carry that into the next week.
I purposefully did not post or even think about this until today, because I didn't want to go crazy today. That's not the point. The point is to live with what you've got for a month. Absolutely no eating out, no deal-a-day email purchases, no Amazon purchases, no Chik fil a* playgroup, no pedicures, no Sonic happy hour, nothing, nada.
Of course there are exceptions for emergencies. If your kid gets an ear infection, don't tell him he has to wait until March for antibiotics. And if your car breaks down, fix it. And if you run out of toilet paper and it doesn't fit in the budget, PLEASE, buy some. But you know what I'm talking about. Like if you run out of ziploc bags, try to find a different solution.
This year it's extra tricky because it's leap year and you have a whole extra day to suffer. But think it will be that much easier next year, when you only have to fast for 28 days.
If you do join me, please tell me, and keep me posted on your progress. Not because I'm the spending fast police or anything, but because I'd like the encouragement. Misery loves company. I mean, because it's FUN!
*I will be making one exception on February 9th at the Fall Creek Chik fil a to support the Spina Bifida Association
12 comments:
Lauren, you had to remind me. I've been wondering this month if you were going to do the spending fast this year. My hardest part in joining you will be to stay away from buying anything for the baby. I'll just have to keep reminding myself that I will have plenty of time after February to buy baby stuff. Good luck!
Ha, I just posted this on our blog too! And also tried not to buy too much today in preparation for the start. By the way, I love your Chik-fil-a playgroup! That's hilarious! And tasty.
ha...I feel like I've been doing this for a year and a half! hahaha. What do you do to celebrate Valentine's Day? Do you buy your gifts and cards in January?
I remember your last spending fast and I attempted it in January and totally FAILED.
Maybe I'll try it in February. But not making any promises yet! :)
Can't wait to see how yours goes!
I've had this on the brain since you posted about it last time. We even went three months in a row without eating out last year, and it was all thanks to the seed you planted, so thank you.
I'm thinking I'll join you this month. It will make Tyler like me more :)
Yay! I'm so excited! I think it's going to be a good year!
I'm with you too! There will be only 1 night that won't count & that's this Saturday because Donald & I are going on our first date in several months (maybe since the summer) & he's planning it.
I'm going to try this. but i probably won't be good at it. This isn't nearly as fun as our college february project which involved forcing ourselves to date someone for the month of february and we couldn't break up with them until March 1. also, what about valentines day? can you go out then? and spend money then?
I use to spend $50 a week on groceries but that is a thing of the past. :( I spend triple since I moved here! That sounds like a wonderful idea!
After seeing this TJ suggested I join you. Thanks Lauren.
I've been keeping a budget (including writing down every receipt in a notebook & keeping the receipt) since the beginning of Jan. Then, today I'm supposed to look over the receipts to see where I spent that's not necessary etc. I feel like I have a generous budget, but we're still saving w/ it, than from when I just swiped the card whenever I wanted. Baby Steps? My biggest hurdle: Amazon (not counting my Subscribe & Save items). Maybe by March I'll be able to join the big leagues. :) Haha. But your posts have been inspiring on this topic.
I am very excited to hear about your progress. I don't think I could mentally handle this, though. It's freaking cold here, and there are only so many indoor McDonald's play areas we can visit before we need to just get a wristband at Boondocks. :-) But still, I think this is a great idea. YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Post a Comment