Friday, April 25, 2008

Motherhood proves to be too difficult

So, I am already failing as a mother. Poor little Ethan has the WORST diaper rash. It seriously makes me cry a little bit when I change his diaper and he screams in pain as I wipe the blood from his bottom. Not to be too graphic, but just for a little background, his bottom is mostly fine, except for two little stripes that go down the side of his bottom that look like open sores. They don't bleed all the time, but it does happen. He's had it for more than two weeks. Please help! Here's what we've tried so far: Butt Paste A and D ointment hydrocortisone hospital brand zinc oxide Triple Paste (another zinc oxide that's as thick as clay) neosporin wiping with mineral oil wiping with just water wiping with soapy water letting it air out for hours at a time (this one is scary) baby powder Lotrimin prescription nystatin pretty much about any combination you can make with the above creams I've taken lactaid with my dairy and tried going off dairy altogether We've called, emailed (with pictures), and taken him in to see the doctor. Nothing. It hasn't gotten worse, but it has not gotten ANY better. As a side note, Kate's little bottom is perfectly fine. If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I will try anything!

18 comments:

Lyndi said...

My first had horrible diaper rash as well. We tried everything, like you, but finally found something that works! I mean, it doesn't clear it all the way up, but it definitely gets better AND it doesn't sting and make the baby cry. It's called Bag Balm. It's stored in a square tub in the medicine area of the store. Sometimes it's behind the counter in the pharmacy (you might just want to ask the pharmacist where they keep it). It's a neosporin consistency and was originally used for cow's udders, I think. Anyway, give it a try and good luck! :)

Unguren said...

Both of my kids would get diaper rash if I drank orange juice or ate too much fruit.

With Laney her diaper rash was really bad once so we used hydracortizone. We dried off her bum really good then put it on at night so that it could sit the longest uninterupted.

One more thing that you may want to try is switching to wipes with no sents in them. He may just not like the perfume. Until his bum gets better try wiping him off with just some water.

Unguren said...

I just noticed that you tried hydracortizone so never mind on that. But maybe some of the other things will work.

LL said...

Hey, Landon got a terrible diaper rash after he was on antibiotics for 2 months straight and they ravaged his little intestines. What ended up working for us was Dr. Smith's diaper creme. I know they sell it at Walgreens and Target. It's expensive, but a little goes a long way and it really worked. He also had open sores and it just about killed me.

We also found that getting him really dry before putting on the diaper, especially at night when it would be on for longer, helped. We actually used the blow dryer on low. It worked fast (less chance for him to squirt us!) and he seemed to find it soothing.

I'm sorry for your little guy - and you!

Jessica said...

I am sorry my butt paste that Brian gave you didn't work either, that always worked wonders for my kids. I would also try different wipes and different diapers. Hang in there, you are not a bad mother. Hopefully it will go away soon.

Lindsey said...

Sorry I won't be much help. Brooklyn never got bad diaper rash. You might want to try switching diaper brands. I know there probably isn't a whole lot of choices in premie size, but I've heard some diaper brands are better for sensitive bottoms.

Claudia said...

Congratulations on the birth of your babies! they are so cute!
well, mi advise about diaper rash, is to use Desitin,(the original, is a white paste)
It works with my 3 kids every time, and also my advise is to use it every diaper change even if the baby doesn't have a rash,to prevent one.
please let me know if it works with you too.
and don't worry, you are a wonderful mom, you learn with your kids.
enjoy those beautiful babies, I always wanted twins! :)
love,
Claudia Del Papa.

claudiadelpapa@gmail.com

katherine said...

Ella has been getting bad rashes lately too. Like mentioned above, it helps to make sure their bum is completely dry before putting another diaper on. Also, when Ella has a rash, I try to change her diaper 2 or 3 times more often. I've tried a lot of creams and a prescription but what works best on her is Burt's Bees diaper ointment. It's SUPER thick so it stays on and prevents any moisture from getting into the wound. Hope this helps :).

packermom said...

Good moms love their kids and try to help them when they need it.....just what you are doing!! They are lucky to have you! It's all a learning experience and they don't come with instructions!

I always liked Eucerine creme - it comes in a tub- for my kids diaper rashes. I smeared it on thick with each change and it really seemed to help. I will bring some when I come. I can't wait to see them and you! Hang in there.

Michael, Lisa, Ethan, and Carson said...

try putting baking soda in the bath water and letting him soak...it worked for our son...we still use it!

pam s said...

i think a trip to california would cure everything. i'm sure it would be very difficult for you all to come, so maybe you could just send ethan and his sore bum. jetbllue charges $10 extra for an unaccompanied minor, and i would be very happy to pick him up at the airport. a day with nana in the ca sunshine will have him ready for biking in the tour de france!

Doc Warren said...

Well, as I mis-posted on another thread, I learned (while I was in nursing school) that the antacid Maalox™ really helped with the treatment and curing of decubitis ulcers.

In fact, I have found that it helps with my own diaper rash.

Love,
Uncle Warren ямо

Doc Warren said...

Oh, and corn starch has been helpful when I worked in a pediatric traumatic brain injury unit. But apply conservatively (as a good Republican).

Uncle Warren

LL said...

When I was at Target last night I looked for Dr. Smiths, but couldn't find it, so I was wrong to say it was there (or at least not at the one up North), but I do know it's at Walgreens!

I hope you've found something that helps the little guy (and you!).

California Blakes said...

When Davis was a newborn until he was about 3-4 months old we could have a blow dryer next to the changing table and we would give him a little blow after each diaper change. Our pediatrician told us to do it and once we started he never got a diaper rash again! It's kind of a pain but worth not having to deal with the painful rashes! Good Luck!

Tiffany said...

You have tried everything I can think of...so when you find the miracle cure, let us all know!! BTW...we got the darling birth announcement today! When did you ever find time to make them?!

Rachel Murray said...

Hi Lauren! You don't know me, but I'm Brandon Hale's sister. Whitney showed me your blog and your cute babies and I just had to check back to see how cute they are. My mother-in-law adopted a baby that was born 6 weeks premature and she had the same problem with diaper rash so bad it would bleed. Her doctor recommended switching from powder formula to the premade formula because it contains less sugars. She switched and never had the problem again. It sounds like you're breastfeeding, but I don't know if you give him occasional bottles of formula you might give it a try. The bad part is it's quite a bit more expensive. Good Luck!

Lauren said...

Tiff, *see Grandma comes for a visit. I really wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for my mom coming to visit, but she also helped with the announcements. Also, we were able to do the shopping while they were still in the NICU.