Friday, April 2, 2010

So... Texas

I figured I should wait till after April Fool's Day to post about this because it is hardly believable, even to me. We are in Texas right now. Houston, to be exact. Greg's law firm opened up an office here and we thought we'd check it out. We've always talked about Texas as a future landing site for our family. It's cheap. Nice neighborhoods. Good schools. But, let's be honest, it's Texas. And we LOVE California, the weather, the people, being close to family, and to be honest, Greg loves his job. So, we're here for a month and who's to say what one month from now will bring? We may be high-tailing it out of here (not really high-tailing it- the 3 day journey back isn't a fun one), we may be here for the long haul. Only time will tell. Either way, it's a good opportunity for us to check out what everyone is talking about.
A few things have surprised me about Texas
  • people say "ma'am" a lot
  • people here smoke A LOT more than in California (I only say more than California because I don't know if California is the outlier or Texas)
  • the churches (of all religions, it seems) are HUGE and on like 5 acres of land with baseball diamonds and playgrounds. The first one we saw we thought was a high school. Nope. Grace Church of Christ
  • the Eastern side of Texas is very green and quite beautiful
  • Junior Mints aren't popular here. I've bought TWO boxes that were stale. How does a box of Junior Mints go stale? They should be flying off of the shelves!
  • H.E.B
And in case you still don't believe that we're here, here's a couple of pictures from one of the many stops along the way. Ethan was in heaven- a "tractor", just chillin on the side of the road.

16 comments:

Alissa said...

Glad you made
it. I hear everything is bigger in Texas. Can't wait to hear how you like it...

The Hyer Family said...

So you chose Texas over Glendora huh? J/K...hope you like it there! Good luck! PS--my dad always spoke very highly of Greg's sunday school lessons, and seeing how particular my dad can be, that's a massive compliment! He gushed every Sunday about how good the lessons were...

Jean said...

I am very disappointed in the lack of love for Junior Mints. Hahaha! And the ma'am thing is funny... and the ginormous churches thing. But I'm super glad that you all survived the trip and are now getting to play with giant dump trucks at the side of the road. Actually, I'm super jealous. :-)

amelia said...

Every time I hear of a Texas home purchase (mansion on acre of land for $130,000, ie) I'm always appealed. People sure love it out there. I hope you guys have a fun time and can figure out what is the next best step, be it TX or CA.

Whitney said...

Seriously?! Wow! I swear we just saw you and this is a huge surprise to me. I think it sounds like good timing - I guess? Hope you're happy and surviving! Too bad his firm doesn't have an office in Phoenix ... just saying. Give me a call if you get bored and want to chat!

Melanie said...

Wow! I've never been to Houston outside of the airport, but I know they have some beautiful neighborhoods! Good luck with your month there, and hope you enjoy it there even if you don't end up staying! (and maybe you can get your kids to pick up a Texas drawl! That would be hilarious.)

acandiedapple said...

How fun! It's nice to have the opportunity to test drive a city for a month. Texas is on our short list. We'll see how all that works out next summer. Good luck!

Lindsey said...

I'm glad you guys survived the trek. How did the kids do on the drive? I can't wait to see more pictures and here about your adventures!

lyndsey said...

welcome to texas. hope the junior mint consumption improves...what is wrong with those people??

Catherine said...

Welcome to Texas! We spent the day today in east Texas - it's beautiful! (Dallas isn't bad, either). I hope you enjoy Houston!

Wendy said...

We've liked living here, but we are in Dallas. You know the Delange's live down there...wish I could do lunch with you guys!!

Danielle said...

Wow! Now that's news!

Now that we live in Southern California, I'm not sure why anyone would want to leave it! But good luck with your decision and have fun while you're there.

By the way, where are you staying for the month? Did the firm rent you an apartment?

katherine said...

Oh Houston. I moved there my senior year of high school and my family still lives there (20 min. south of downtown in Friendswood). Let me know if you have any questions. I'd be happy to chat with you and I'm sure my mom would love to have you over for a pool party--she's just silly like that. Houston is a great city but I can not put up with that humidity. It's killer. HEB on the other hand, is awesome. Do yourself a favor and buy some of their freshly baked tortillas in the bakery. I can't even put in to words how I feel about those tortillas. YUM! And while you're at it, buy some Blue Bell cookie dough ice cream. I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about it.

alisha said...

I don't know how, but I didn't find out you were moving/moved until this last Thursday. Brad just forgot to tell me I guess. Hope everything goes well.

B Brown said...

Seeing H.E.B on your blog makes me laugh. When we visited my brother in San Antonio we saw them everywhere. Apparently Mike was slowly & silently getting offended when he finally asked "What's with all the 'HEB' stores? Texans don't like Jews and make them shop in separate stores?"

Oh, and have you spotted any "Wild Farms" yet? Apparently that's code for parks where you can get your shotgun out and go shoot some large animals.

I can hardly wait to see the twins in their first pair of boots :)

DK Johnston said...

You are having a little Texas adventure just like we did!:) We lived in League City which is between Houston and Galveston. We LOVED it there. Aren't the people great?! I'm not going to lie though, the bugs in Texas are awful! That was seriously the hardest part...I can't do cockroaches. Other than that, we totally miss it. Have fun!