Thursday, April 29, 2010

Why do they give me their cutest smiles...

when they're doing something naughty?
Whenever I ask my mom for parenting advice, she always says, "I wasn't a great mom, I just had great kids." Well, I know her kids well enough to know that that isn't the truth, but whatever, that's why we love her. I think she honestly believes it (and I think that THAT is why she had "great" kids). Anyway, just some thoughts I've had lately... I believe in consistency with parenting. Every time they do something that they shouldn't be doing, something must be done- even if it's a really small, "don't do that," and move on, you gotta do something. Is there an exception, though, when they're doing that something together, and enjoying each other's naughty-as-it-may-be company and laughing uncontrollably, a laugh you can NEVER get too much of? Like, pulling all of the Q-tips out of the box, or clothes out of the drawers, or taking too long to get to the car because they're looking at something (but mostly just annoying mom)? I'm leaning towards letting them do the small things if bonding is the reward, stopping anything permanently damaging or dangerous. But is that just teaching them that if they're having fun together they can get away with anything? And is there really anything wrong with that? Anyone care to shed some light?

6 comments:

Nat said...

I am exactly that way, not that it means it is good, but if the girls are having fun doing something they aren't supposed to I tend to let it go. I have noticed that it always seems to happen again though and to a bigger level. There is something about kids laughing that is hard to stop.

Bre said...

I don't know what the answer is, but will you figure it out and let me know so I know what to do with my twins at that age? :)

Jean said...

CUTE picture!! I like that method. I think the bonding/fun is more important than the disciplining sometimes. Rock on!!

packermom said...

I'm the last person in the world to ask for parenting advice.........but the smiles on their faces are pretty sweet.

B Brown said...

When you figure it out, let me know. I suppose balance is key. Just carry your camera everywhere to be sure and catch more adorable naughty moments just before they are disciplined :)

Katie said...

Wow, that's adorable!