Monday, March 3, 2008

Today's Doctor Appointment

Today was our typical Monday doctor's appointment. Our appointments are usually 3-4 hours these days. We start with the non-stress tests, which always take a while because they have trouble getting the monitors to pick up both babies, and making sure that they aren't both picking up the same heartbeats. Then, we move on to ultrasound where they look at heartbeats, sometimes measure growth, and check for any problems that might crop up. Finally, it is to the nurse's station for the taking of vitals and then to the doctor. Each stage is separated by a half-hour to 45 minute wait in the waiting room. So on the whole, we start at 8 am and leave by around noon.

Today was especially exciting. Lauren has been having some problems lately with the way she is positioned in her non-stress tests and ultrasounds--she gets pretty lightheaded and feels nauseated. One time, she fainted. Well today, she got real sick, real fast. I ran to the nurse for something to catch what was about to come up in, and she hands me a container about the size of a dixie cup. I'm thinking, "yeah right" but run back to Lauren just in time to place the container in front of her, catch the first heave of vomit in the cup, and the second, third, fourth, and fifth heaves on my hands, arms, Lauren's towel, shirt, pants, chair, floor, and pretty much everywhere else I can think of. Nothing says "I love you" like holding a small cup while your wife overflows it with vomit. It smelled really bad and I had to excuse myself very quickly to avoid adding to the scene.

After getting cleaned up, we went to the rest of the appointments, where things are continuing to look good, but our doctor thinks these babies are coming sooner than later. The only thing holding the twins in at this point are the stitches, which can't be overstressed, so anything above about 2 contractions means we go in. That may be tonight, this weekend, next week, or in two weeks (hopefully). We'll just keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best. As I'm writing this, Lauren is telling me she is having a contraction, so let's hope we don't have another.

4 comments:

Wendy said...

Welcome the the blogging world...I spend way too much time here. I'm glad to have another friend to read about!!!

Larson Family said...

Oh what an exciting doctor's visit. I can't believe they could be here so soon. Good luck and you will be great parents.

Andrea said...

I like your blog. At Lauren's shower I guessed she'd have the babies on March 6th... ready for babies tomorrow? Probably not.

Laynalou3 said...

WOW-- it sounds like you two will be parents soon!! Good luck with everything regarding the birth. Compared to the last 3 months, it will probably be easy.