Monday, January 21, 2013

Andrea's birthday

It's pretty fitting that Andrea's birthday fell on a national holiday this year. Andrea was the queen of school holidays. If the kids were out of school, she had something amazing planned. She always said that nothing was too much work for a good time. So we celebrated her birthday today, Andrea style. Even the weather brought her a gift. Nothing was too warm for Andrea. Nothing.
It was a beautiful morning. The kids all played so well and had so much fun. It was a BYOL (lunch) affair, but of course there was dessert to spare. And nothing fruity, thank you very much, only the richest, gooiest, chocolate-y-est desserts were good enough for Andrea's birthday celebration. 
***Emotion alert! Continue at your own risk. 
I look at this next picture and can't help but get emotional. While I miss Andrea so much I can hardly stand it, I am incredibly and eternally grateful for these, and many other, amazing women who have been through it all with me. We've cried together and been there for each other through a really hard thing. We all share the same hurt, and aching, and endless love for our friend and her wonderful family. I know we'll never again be the same. But we've been through it together, and together, we're better. And together, we've done amazing things. I also can't help but notice the joy on everyone's faces. Not forced, but genuine happiness to celebrate the birthday of our dear friend. I am so blessed and honored to call them my friends. 
*** end emotional content. 
 This was, of course, only a small portion of the people there. Oh, and no, it wasn't a "wear a baby bump under your shirt" costume party. Everyone, really everyone, is pregnant around here. The ward count is up to 20.
I can't help but think Andrea has had something to do with the madness. If you knew Andrea, you'd know that she's in charge wherever she is. 


 The kids all wrote notes to Andrea on the balloons.
Sweet, sweet girls, sending notes to their mom. 





 The kids had the best. day. ever.
Or so I heard.
Some kids were left to their own devices and I'd say they fared pretty well.
I told Candace's mom that she should be SO proud that she only took one. Really, that's a proud mom moment right there. 
Happy birthday, Andrea!

4 comments:

alisha said...

What a wonderful way to celebrate your friend.

Emily said...

Looks like a very special group of people! Your pictures are beautiful, Lauren.

packermom said...

Tears as I type this. I think about Kyle and the girls all the time. Andrea has some pretty wonderful friends.

Jeannie said...

This was so beautiful, Lauren. I was really touched when I read about your friend a few months back. She seems like she really changed the world for good. How blessed your are to have known her. What a wonderful way to celebrate her.