The conversation last night, as it often seems to do when I'm involved in a conversation, led to brownies. I'm a brownie lover and I've tried at least 10 million different recipes. They asked me to email them my favorites, and I figured I'd share the wealth you, my faithful followers. I, in no way, created these recipes from scratch, and therefore do not take credit for the deliciousness of them. I can only say that I've had a lot of brownies in my day and these are among the best.
- These are the ones from last night. They were almost too good to be true. Currently, they're the reigning champs of brownies in my book. I pretty much followed the recipe to the T, except I added about a 1/2 cup powdered sugar to the frosting. It didn't seem quite thick enough. That Mel, she knows what she's doing.
- Go-to, every day (pretty much), eat with ice cream brownies:
1 1/2 stick butter
1 1/2 c sugar
2 t vanilla
3 eggs
1 c flour
1/2 c cocoa
Mix and bake at 350 for 35 minutes in 9 x 9 pan
- The frosted ones that Ariel loves:
2 cubes butter, melted
2 c flour
2 c sugar
4 eggs
6 T cocoa
Add all ingredients to melted butter and stir until completely combined. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 pan and bake at 350 for 22-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean
frosting
1 cube butter, melted
2 c powdered sugar
3 T milk
3 T cocoa
Add all ingredients to melted butter and mix well. Pour frosting over warm brownies and let cool before cutting.
- And finally, the thick, fudgey ones that Greg thinks they should serve to prison inmates without milk. (In his mind, that's the worst form of punishment.) (the ones I brought to Melanie's a couple of weeks ago)
5 oz unsalted butter
9 7/8 oz sugar
2 7/8 oz unsweetened cocoa
1/4 t sea salt
1/2 t vanilla
2 large eggs, cold
2 3/8 oz flour
Combine the butter, sugar, cocoa and salt, and melt in microwave in 15-30 second intervals until melted and the mixture is smooth and hot enough that you want to remove your finger fairly quickly after dipping it in to test. Set aside until the mixture is only warm, not hot. It should be fairly gritty at this point.
Position rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat the oven to 325. Line the bottom and sides of an 8 x 8-inch square pan with parchment paper, leaving and overhang on 2 opposing sides.
Stir in the vanilla with a wooden spoon. Add the eggs one at a times, stirring vigorously after each one. When the batter looks thick, shiny, and well blended, add the flour and stir until you cannot see it any longer, then beat vigorously for 40 strokes with the wooden spoon or a rubber spatula. Spread evenly in the lined pan.
Bake until toothpick plunged into the center emerges slightly moist with batter, 30-35 minutes. Let cool completely on a rack. (I toss mine into the fridge at this point for the best cutting results)
Lift up the ends of the parchment liner, and transfer the brownies to a cutting board. Cut into 16 or 25 squares.
IMO, these are best warmed with a little ice or fresh whipped cream.
2 comments:
I've read that book too!! I loved it. And I love brownies, but because I'm lazy, I just get the Ghirardelli ones from Costco, which are AAAAHHH-some.
That was the book I suggested for the Regents book group! Glad you liked it and remembered it.
Post a Comment