Friday, August 14, 2009

A nice story

Wait a minute. How is Greg having lunch with the kids? And why are the kids all red and sweaty? And why does Ethan... have a Pasadena Fire Department sticker? That's interesting. Maybe mom locked the keys in the car while she was pumping gas. Maybe she called Greg who drove at Mach speeds to get there. Maybe the nice gas attendant, along with the 15 or so other nice people also pumping gas, tried to calm mom down, while calling AAA and the Police. Maybe 5 minutes later, the firetruck and police car arrived, sirens blazing. Maybe the firemen were REALLY good-looking. Maybe AAA also showed up and together, they got the car open. Maybe Ethan didn't really give a care, and maybe Kate was sobbing. Maybe they were both soaking wet in their own sweat and maybe they downed their juice boxes in 30 seconds flat (what are the odds I had those? I NEVER carry juice boxes). Maybe dad arrived to save the day and take us all to Tommy's. Maybe I'd like to have some words with the people at Honda who thought that automatic locks while you're pumping gas is a good idea. And maybe I'd like to thank the nice men and women of Pasadena who saved our lives today. Maybe.

20 comments:

Donna said...

OMG Lauren - you must have been out of your mind......thanks for sharing. A memory you will NEVER forget!!!!

dietcokegrrl said...

Oh man--I have done that on more than one occasion. Totally embarrassing.

Once was in my Honda as well and yes, the stupid locks locked automatically.

The second time, I gave Sammy the keys to play with while I walked over to his side of the car to get him out and he hit the lock button on the remote and locked himself in. He was only a little over a year old and I couldn't get him to hit the other button to unlock it.

Fortunately, both times were in our carport, so the car was out of the sun--and AAA arrives within 10 minutes if you tell them that there is a child or pet in the car.

But I guess you know that now.

Sorry it happened, but at least it's happened to all of us once (or twice).

Welcome to the club.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Oh my goodness - my worse nightmare just came true for you!

Glad it turned out OK.

Danielle said...

Wow, that's quite a story! How scary! I'm glad it worked out ok in the end.

Catherine said...

What a horrible experience! I'm glad the kids were okay.

Jeannie said...

Oh yikes, what an ordeal! And I thought Colin's idea of locking the keys in the car while it was running and the radio and lights were on was bad. But that was before we had kids, so you win! So sorry that happened but at least you got to have lunch with your sweetie AND that it was at Tommy's!

Melissa said...

Wow! Hurray for good-looking firemen and AAA and juice boxes. I'm glad everyone's ok.

Alissa said...

Um, maybe Ella got locked in the car once, and maybe the Sandy city fire and police were called, and maybe she was crying so hard she was frothing at the mouth by the time she was rescued. But there was definitely no celebratory lunch or hot fireman. Of that I'm sure.

Andrea J said...

Oh man, that would be really upsetting. Glad that everything turned out okay.

lyndsey said...

OMG. what a crazy story! way to hold it together lauren -- i'm sure that must have been a crazy scene! glad everything turned out okay [and that you got to check out the hot firemen :) ]

Jean said...

Hahaha- I love how you wrote this. Way to find humor in a super stressful situation!! ACK! I would've freaked out too!! I'm so sorry you had to go through that whole thing. I still love that the fire truck showed up. And I love that even through all the crying, you managed to notice that the firemen were hot. Hehehe! ;-)

Lindsey said...

My worst fear! I'm glad everything turned out okay. Was it really hot?

Nicole + Brock said...

I beat that you were so scared. I think I would be freaking out. I am so glad that everything turned out okay.

amelia said...

I WOULD FREAK. I'm so glad you're all good.

B Brown said...

Don't worry, happens to everyone (right?). Did the same thing when Max was a few months old. Damn those automatic locks!

Lis said...

Lauren, you're still a superstar in my book! These stories are great for the telling though! I'll look forward to the re-telling at the next Packer get-together! :) Glad the kiddos are ok!

Scott said...

I've never locked my son in the car, though I did end up locking my younger brother in the car when he was a little toddler (18 mos.? and I was 12). I'm glad the firemen were attractive, and that you didn't need to break a window. javascript:void(0)

California Blakes said...

Shoot! I'm sorry that happened to you! At least it was a happy ending! Your kids are so cute and now you will have a great story to someday tell them!

Alissa said...

So I'm not sure if you'll read the 19th comment on this blog...but Ella and I were having the "you're going to meet your cousins soon" talk and tried to prep by watching videos of the twins (so she wouldn't embarrass herself by calling Kate 'Ethan' and Ethan 'Kate'--no rookie mistakes here) and we noticed there was a dirth of new video. I'm just saying...

Erin said...

Holy moly! I'm so glad everything turned out all right and was resolved quickly. I can't imagine! At least you got lunch with your husband, though, right?