Drew was closing the sliding door and caught his finger a little bit.
I knew it wasn't that bad because he was hardly crying, just a little whimper.
Drew: Mommy tiss it, make it feel better?
I kissed it.
D: Daddy tiss it when he dets home, make it feel better?
Me: Yeah, Daddy will kiss it when he gets home and it will feel better.
Thinks for a bit...
D: Brownie make it feel better!
Yes, my child, it would. And if I had a brownie to give him, he would have gotten two. He learned a great lesson early in life and he should be rewarded.
We'll just have to remember better times when brownies were in abundance and owies lasted only a moment.
______
And while we're on the topic of brilliance...
Like most children, I'm sure, Drew asks where we're going in the car at least every 30 seconds. And if someone else is leaving (Greg going to work), the same question appears with equal persistence.
I started asking back, following each inquiry.
He started catching on and the intervals between questioning lengthened to 1, maybe even 2 minutes.
The other day, in the car, he got smart.
Drew: Where we doin'?
Me: Home. Drew, where are you going?
Drew: Home
D: Where we doin'?
Me: Home. Drew, where are you going?
Drew: (with a huge smile on his face) work.
The problem with these moments where he think he's so funny is that I think he's funny, which only encourages the behavior.
_______
And a final word on the little chap.
While his speaking may not be completely intelligible and his grammar is far from correct, his ability to reason is incredible. If he goes to do something and I tell him no, he says, "Why mommy?" I explain, he says, "Oh, otay," and moves on. And it's not his temperament to just go along. He has to understand why. He seems to understand the way the world works better than I do sometimes and he'll even explain mysteries of the universe to me, starting sentences with, "Uh-tuz, Mommy." Like when he told me he didn't want to go to nursery the first week we were here, "Uh-tuz, Mommy, Dretchen not be here. She in Houston." I never told him that. Trust me, I would never shatter a boy's dreams deliberately. He figured it out. He tells me all about bugs and "rowy pollies," and why daddy goes to work. I love his little brain. And his voice. And his mannerisms- they're so much like Greg's. And his hair- which is not so much like Greg's.

3 comments:
Drew needs a visit to see Aunt Jane!
And then he needs to come see his Grandma.
Oh Drew, I'm glad he's learned about brownies early. What a cute little boy he is.
Post a Comment