Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Heart Ball

Greg was invited to attend the American Heart Association Heart Ball a couple of weekends ago. By invited, I mean, it was for a client and his job depended on his attendance. 
That's a little dramatic. But there was no way out of it. So we "invited" our friends to join us and they kindly obliged. 
Turns out going to a ball is really fun. You get to borrow a fancy dress and get all dressed up. It's free (for us) and that's really something when you're on a spending fast. The food is great. The people-watching is top-notch. And when you call something a "heart ball," you're going to get classy heart decor. And we're always looking for hearts to take our picture inside of. I mean, who isn't?

The evening included a charity auction. Greg was really close to getting me a pair of diamond earrings. And by really close, I mean $7K short.

Valentine's Day free fancy dinner? Check. This spending fast thing is easy peasy this year. And while I'm reporting, I sailed through week 2 with $83.88 at the grocery store. And I almost made it through week 3 ($77 on groceries) but those Presidents and their Day. Greg had it off and while the morning was spent cleaning our house and cars, the afternoon brought much spending. First the kids filled their sticker charts (that happens about once every other month or so), so we headed to Target to cash in. A princess puzzle for Kate and a velcro ball and catch set for Ethan. $13 out the door. Then, we decided we're going to have some rooms painted while the kids and I are going to be out of town in a couple of weeks, so we went and bought paint samples. Both of those are kinda borderline on the cheater scale. What's not borderline is a burrito from Mission Burrito. It was right next to Target and we were all starving. Busted. I'll take it out of my carry over. That leaves me with $35 carryover and I'm going to be a cheater again this weekend with my mom and brother in town, I'm sure. But if I can keep it within my carryover amount, I'll still pat myself on the back. I'm good at patting myself on the back.

5 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

I'm pretty sure you're doing FABULOUS on your spending fast. Let the carryovers happen, lady. I'm impressed!

Wes and I may try a 2 week spending fast and see how that treats us.

acandiedapple said...

Way to go! I think carry over is money to use. I also think kid rewards don't count. Calder used his own money to buy a lego helicopter set today and I didn't feel guilty at all. You're doing great!

alisha said...

What a fun evening! Love the picture with the heart.

And I'm seriously impressed with how well your doing with the spending fast.

The Skeehan Family said...

I'm not even sure I could do a one week spending fast. Wow, that is impressive.

And ps, you look absolutely stunning in these pictures.

And by the way, read the iPad story - my comment is really long but the crux of it is, Wow. Awesome story :)

packermom said...

You look beautiful!!!