Monday, February 6, 2012

Night time routine

I wouldn't normally consider myself a routine kind of girl. But small children seem to thrive on it and I've learned to adapt. Sort of. While bedtime has always been routine, we've somehow in the last couple of months extended routine into the whole evening. It usually goes something like this:

After dinner, the kids play while I do the dishes. Then we all clean up the downstairs and head upstairs to play. 

Pants become optional at this point. 
(This is what happens when 6 month clothes are WAY too short and 12 month clothes are WAY too wide. Since manpris are only cool in Europe, we went for 12 month pants and this is the result)





 When bedtime finally comes, I nurse Drew while the kids "clean up." This part is more of a joke I play on myself. I ask them to clean up, but that doesn't really happen until I'm done nursing and we all do it together. Or we don't do it at all. 
Then we get ready for bed.


 After baths, the twins get in their pajamas while I dress and put down Drew.
Greg makes his appearance anytime between dinner and bedtime. He's almost always home by story time, like he was this particular night. We read one book each, say prayers, and tuck in. Sometimes Greg will force me to lie down with them for a bit. I never regret it. We kiss them and say good night.
First attempt at a tripod-assisted family photo. Fail.
I realize this is a VERY boring thing to post about. But it's part of our life and I want it documented. I also realize that this is a blissful life. One day I will dream of evenings free of basketball practice, ballet, homework, church obligations, etc. But I won't lie and say that every night after the kids go down, I don't put my feet up and feel exhausted.  Cause I do.

3 comments:

Lindsay Griffeth said...

It's the details like this that will be fun to read about one day!

Jean said...

Awww, I'm glad you posted this!! I am very excited to introduce the combined bath in our home... maybe the time is ALMOST HERE!! And I love Greg's face in that last pic. And I am SO with you on relishing that post-bedtime time, where you finally get to relax, haha!! Aaaand, I like that Kate is holding one of those "If You Give" books from Chick-Fil-A. Awesome. (I wish we lived near each other, if only to enjoy our mutual obsession with CFA.)

Lis said...

Love posts like these! And you will LOVE re-reading it in years to come when the routine has evolved into something else.