Friday, October 5, 2012

Favorite Things party

 So, a few weeks ago, my sisters-in-law (or is it sister-in-laws) the girls who are married to my brothers, told me about this a.w.e.s.o.m.e party idea. It's called a "favorite things party." Heard of them? Been to 20? Well, I thought it was innovative and I was on it like white on rice. Here's how it works. You send an invite to the coolest chicks you know. Tell them to think of their favorite item in the world that costs around 5 bucks. Have them bring 5 of them, concealed, and show up at your house for the party of the century. 

But first, you must make a banner. 
Because what is a party without a banner? Not a good one, I guarantee it.
When guests arrive, everyone writes their name on 5 slips of paper.
 Then, you eat treats and mingle.
 Then, you go around the room, sharing your favorite thing, proclaiming of its value and pure awesomeness.
 You draw 5 names, and those 5 people walk away with a new favorite thing.
 Since your name was in there 5 times, you each get 5 things.
Awesome, no?
 About half way through the go-around, someone had the brilliant idea, "we should be writing these things down!"
But have no fear when Cassidy is around. See her? The girl on the right in the following picture. 
"I'm all over it," she says. She'd been keeping notes all along.
That Cassidy.
It's no wonder that she's the greatest RS secretary this side of the Mississippi.
 General merriment will flow naturally.

 The only bogey of the evening was this following picture. In my mind, the whole night, I was thinking I was looking pretty good. And since I NEVER have pictures of myself, I made Julie take one with me. I should have just kept with the false illusion that I was looking good. I'll have to remember that for next time. Cause nasty pictures of myself is NOT one of my favorite things.
Since you're dying to know, here's the list of "favorite things."
The Best Christmas Pageant Ever 
sleep mask
nail polish - cherry bomb
cold stone gift card
magic bag storage bags
Wallflower: Creamy Pumpkin scent
yebrow shaver
Revlon Lip Stain lip balm
silicon spatulas
tweezers
fels naptha soap and scrubbers and magic eraser
Saigon cinnamon from Williams Sonoma
Haagen Daz vanilla ice cream
Pumpkin cookies homemade mix and recipe
wooden spoon
Misto oil sprayer
Williams Sonoma paring knife, with cover
Scentportables (for car) Autumn and Leaves scents
Loreal Voluminous mascara
Maybelline Lash Discovery mascara
BBW Mentha Lip Shine
BBW hand soap
vinegar, red vines, Starbucks, pearl earrings, fructis frizz control.
Pilot pens and notebook, The Really Useful Box
nail drying drops
salsa mix, nail polish, eyeliner, scrapbook paper, tamarind juice mix
Burt's bees lip balm with color
It hairspray

I know what you're thinking. That's a long list. It's cause I'm really popular. 

A couple of people were confused and brought 5 different things. It totally worked. Although I feel bad that they had to come up with 5 different things. I had a hard enough time coming up with 1!

All in all, super duper fun party. I highly recommend doing one.

6 comments:

Emily said...

That's an awesome idea! I might just have to copy, although my party wouldn't be nearly as well done as yours. Looks like a blast!

Nicole said...

Most fun I've had in awhile! Thanks Lauren!

Whitney said...

So fun! And I just pinned your blog post on pinterest. You'll probably become famous in t-minus 8 hours. :) And I think you look great, you little stinker. Plus your charming whit and humor (plus super cute decor) is what makes you a great host.

Deanna said...

SO.MUCH.FUN. Thanks for such a good time!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Seriously? You're one fun gal. Wish I lived closer so I could come to your party!

Just might have to have one here. Love it!

Lindsey said...

This is my sad face :( because I am too far away.

This is my happy face :) because you're so awesome and it looks like you all had a great time!