Monday, October 15, 2012

Andrea's Race

 Warning: This post is high in emotional content and low in Packer children photo content. Proceed with caution.

Three months ago, I could probably count the number of times I had run longer than 1 mile on one hand (that's assuming it's happened at all. I have no memory of it happening, but it might have). This past Saturday, I ran 10.
It was hard. Hot, and sticky. And mile 8, those sneaky little race people, was uphill. My knee was shot when the race began (thankfully, lots of painkillers kept that pain at bay). But I survived. 1:39:22, barely reaching my 1:40 goal.

You see, my dear friend, Andrea, had signed up for this race before she passed away, so all the runners in our ward/stake/neighborhood, and I, decided to run it for her. It was an emotional day for me, to say the least.
It's been a little over 3 months since she died. I miss her every single day. I've grown a lot in the past 3 months, though. Service to others comes easier. Willingness to serve has always been there, but the "just get out there and do it" attitude often scared me. It doesn't so much anymore. Loving others comes easier, too. Even strangers. The relationships that I have with my family and friends are so much stronger. And I'm stronger. Physically, obviously, but in so many other ways, too. Especially spiritually.
And this leaves me feeling... guilty. Guilty that because of another family's loss, I am a better person. Guilty that I am in this first picture instead of her.

 Guilty that I am with my family right now and she is not.

 Guilty that I have grown because she is gone. 
 But it was not my choice that took her from us; I would trade this all to have her back. It was His choice. And I do, I absolutely do, have faith in His Plan. And it is what I do with these situations that are my choice. And I know that if I were not to change because of this experience, THAT would be the tragedy.

So here's to you, Andrea. Look at all the runners you made.
We sure miss you.
(This picture is only about half of us.) 

I am so lucky to have been a part of something like this. I could not possible say that enough.

And here's a shout out to one of the best people I know. Gretchen, a real life runner, ran the whole thing with me.  Would NOT leave me behind and would not let me walk.
 
And if it looks like she's literally pulling me across the finish line, it's because she is. Bless that girl!
 

7 comments:

Whitney said...

Lauren, congrats on a big accomplishment! I am impressed! This was a very sweet gesture for all of you to have run the race for her - a great tribute. Your experience has touched my heart and I appreciate you sharing it. I think you hit it spot on, and it made me cry (although I'm 8.5 months pregnant, so I'm not sure how sensitive my hormones are today). Love you lots! So glad to call you a friend.

Alissa said...

Beautifully said! So sweet. Congrats on rocking the run!

Danny said...

Thank you Lauren. For being such a great support to us all. The race there in Houston must have been a beast in the South Texas humidity. We also enjoyed supporting Kyle and Garner as they ran a 5K in Provo this weekend as Andrea and her family were honored as Thursday's Heroes. We love you all and will never forget the Christlike service and love you all send out to us and to many others.

packermom said...

I had tears in my eyes as I watched you cross the finish line....and tears as I read your beautiful tribute. Andrea is blessed to have such dear friends.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

What a great post and tribute to a great friend.

I'm proud of you for running! I am like you - can't remember the last time I ran. But you may have motivated me to try! If you have a training schedule or any tips for a non-running friend, will you email me? lindsaygriffeth@Yahoo.com.

Jen Bowen said...

You finished and reached your goal! I think Andrea is so pleased that she has inspired so much improvement and growth in the people she knew and loved.

Shelly Burr said...

Loved this post Lauren. I miss and love Andrea so much. I am so grateful to have been part of this experience with some of the most amazing people I know. It was an honor training and running this race with my closest friends.