Thursday, July 21, 2011

Minnesota? Okay!

I must preface this story with a little background on Greg’s work schedule. He’s an attorney, we all know that. And we all know that attorneys work crazy hours. His schedule is nothing short of crazy, I assure you. About 90% of the time, he works a standard a-little-more-than-the-average-work day, about 5% of the time it’s coming-home-after-2am-MADNESS and then there’s this glorious 5% of the time (that usually immediately follows the madness) where it’s extremely flexible. This is the time where he gets dental work done, oil changed, and as many fun activities with the family as possible. It was during this glorious period that the following story takes place.

Wednesday morning, around 8:15am Greg was heading out the door. I was the kids were giving the usual “don’t go,” so he said, “okay, let’s do something fun this morning.” He calls his mom to see what they were up to this weekend and she said that all of the family was going to be in town and that we should join them (Another side note, in our 8 years of marriage, Greg’s whole family has never been in Minnesota at the same time (and a final side note: Greg’s dad racks up oodles of frequent flyer miles and he was kind enough to share them with us)). We looked online at flights and saw that one was leaving at 10:45. By this time, it was 8:36 (I checked). The twins and I were still in our pjs and Drew was still asleep and would need to nurse when he woke up. I’ll let you imagine in your minds the chaos that then ensued in this house for the next hour. If you imagined clothes flying, random things being thrown into suitcases, unfolded, children picking out their own mismatched outfits and dressing themselves, me sitting on the couch nursing, while Greg is running like a chicken with his head cut off taking orders... then you hit it spot on. At 9:20 on the dot we were out the door (the airport is 15 minutes away) and I’m happy to report that we Greg did a mighty fine job packing. The kids did splendidly on the flight considering we didn’t pack anything to keep them occupied and we had a FANTASTIC time in Minnesota. See for yourselves.

_MG_8398-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg_MG_8450-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg_MG_8476-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg _MG_8546-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg_MG_8559-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg_MG_8582-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg_MG_8587-2011-07-21-13-04.jpgDSC_0494-2011-07-21-13-04.JPGDSC_0569-2011-07-21-13-04.JPGDSC_0369-2011-07-21-13-04.JPG_MG_8735-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg

I guess it should be noted that 95% of the clothes worn in this picture were purchased while we were in Minnesota. Although I’m not sure what would be more impressive- all bringing clothes that matched, or rounding up matching clothes for 14 people in one day.

DSC_0379-2011-07-21-13-04.JPG_MG_8745-2011-07-21-13-04.jpg

11 comments:

danielle said...

packing for everyone in less than an hour and you still managed to include coordinated outfits for a family photo?! you are officially super woman.

Danielle said...

That's a pretty amazing story! The spontanaity of the year award definitely goes to you guys. I'll have to see if begging Max to stay home next time he's not busy will work. :)

Your kids are adorable by the way. I just love Kate's hair!

Alissa said...

So glad it worked out. You know if we had tried to plan it we never could have pulled it off. It's the Packer way.

Megan R. said...

I'm impressed. that gets me stressed just reading about it. I'm so glad you had fun, what a fun little surprise. Your kids are adorable and i can't believe how big your baby is already getting.

caitlin said...

i am excited for the California? Okay! post! you guys are the cutest/coolest! miss you!

Lindsey said...

I'm super impressed by this post. That with 3 kids (one that still needs nursing) that you could decide to leave on a trip, pack yourself & the kids, and leave for the airport all in an hour. That is usually a feat that takes one dedicated week to plan for. Amazing, simple amazing. I was going to be super amazed that you still came packed with matching outfits for the family picture (one that also takes one dedicated week to prepare for), until I read the caption. But still, I'm quite impressed.

Jean said...

Oh my gosh, WOW. I am AMAZED at how quickly you packed and took off to the airport!! Holy schnikies. But what a perfect (and sudden) getaway!! I love it! And I love the matching outfits, plus those extreme smiles on the parents in that last picture. Ha!

Nat said...

Wow just wow that is impressive. I'm all for spontaneity but that is seriously impressive.

B Brown said...

What a totally spontaneous and awesome surprise for everyone! We all need a little more of this. I'm wating to be whisked off to Hawaii, but I'll take Santa Barbara at this point.

p.s. yourh hair is getting super long! I dig it :)

Jeannie said...

That has got to be the best sieze-the-moment stories I've ever read! And now that we have twins I'm even more impressed that you could make that flight (though I'm sure it gets slightly easier as they get older). Props to Greg for the packing and props to you for keeping it all together to get out the door!

packermom said...

You are troopers for pulling it off!!

We miss those little sweethearts like crazy!!