Monday, July 4, 2011

4th of July

Cue: Sentimental Lauren. I love the 4th of July. It’s my favorite holiday, no doubt. Besides the food (which, as you know, is what usually validates any other day/holiday), it’s a day to celebrate this country that we live in, the freedoms that we enjoy and often take for granted, and the people who have made/continue to make that freedom possible. I have never in my adult life stood for this flag at the beginning of a parade, with my hand over my heart, without a tear shed. I love this country.

End sentimentality.

IMG_2713-2011-07-4-20-39.JPGIMG_2690-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

We kept it pretty light this year. There’s only so much sweat one family can handle. Parade at 10am sounded pretty painless. And it was. Even better than expected. Greg clued the twins on to the fact that if they wave their flags, they’ll get candy thrown to them. They waved those little flags like it was keeping them alive.IMG_2696-2011-07-4-20-39.JPGIMG_2697-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

This question is open to the public. Why in the world do the Shriners feel the need to drive around small vehicles and wear Arabian hats in parades? No complaints here. They are the highlight of many parades. Just wondering. IMG_2725-2011-07-4-20-39.JPGIMG_2714-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

Enjoying the one piece of candy they actually ate during the parade.IMG_2727-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

I was mostly sitting in the shade with Drew while Greg took the kids to the front line. I asked him later how much candy they ate (in approximate poundage) and he said, “one piece. I didn’t let them have any more.” That guy. My hero. I would have caved. I guess they were just as happy to pick up all the candy as they would have been to eat it. IMG_2730-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

Case in point.IMG_2732-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

Drew kept surprisingly cool (in temperature, temperament, and social standing)IMG_2753-2011-07-4-20-39.JPG

3 comments:

emilymhjohnson said...

I'm with you, Lauren. I don't think most of us even realize how lucky we are to live in this great nation. We are so, so blessed. Happy Independence Day!

The Skeehan Family said...

your pictures are incredible Lauren, seriously - so beautiful! It looks like your 4th was great - I've heard Texas is so patriotic - what say you? Moreso than CA?

Kelly said...

Lauren! I love your little family and I love following your blog. You always make me laugh and your kids are so darling. I love that you have twins too, isn't it glorious! Most days.. :). I was wondering what kind of camera you have and if you have gotten into photography. You pictures look so good. I have a good camera but don't know how to use it. Just wondered what you've been doing, I love your qualitiy and you photographic eye!