Saturday, June 11, 2011

Dramatic, are we?

The other day, Kate took a pretty big spill, so I was holding her. After a couple of minutes, she stopped crying (mostly) and let go of me. With (dramatic) sadness in her voice, she said, “I’m okay... I sure do miss my daddy, though.” This is not the first time we’ve seen her dramatic side, nor will it be the last, I’m sure. She often uses words like incredible, fantastic, wonderful, terrible, disgusting, and phrases like, “my favorite in my whole world,” “this is the best. day. EVER!”, “why did you___? That hurts my feelings and makes me VERY sad!”, “OH! What am I going to do now?”, and “I’m a genius!” She often can’t do something that I ask her to do, because, “I’m too busy.” A couple of minutes ago, she told me, “I have all this work to do, can you help me go potty?” Sentences usually start with, “Well...” or have at least 2 “so”s (This girl is going to love exclamation points!). For example, “since I was so so nice, can I please have a treat?” How can you not give in to that logic? Ethan has his moments of drama, too. When trying to prove a point of sadness, he’ll often say, “look how sad my face is!” and “but that’s not my favorite!” (what kind of mother am I? I don’t give him his favorite thing every time! Of course, I have to give him credit. When it is his favorite, he’ll shout, “yay! that’s my FAVorite!”). I also get, “my tummy doesn’t feel so good. I need a little snack” at least once a day. He tells stories with sound effects and hand gestures and when he’s trying to show me how hard he’s trying to do something, he’ll close and squint his eyes. When he’s about to get what he wants, he’ll shout, “Thank you! Thank you! I’m so exCIted!” I imagine it’s a phase all kids go through, but it’s a funny one no less.

3 comments:

The Skeehan Family said...

that's fanTASTic. :)

Come on lady, you are their mother. Not saying you are dramatic, but I can just see you with them - so expressive and fun - they can't help but pick up on your enthusiasm for life.

PS... thanks for the note. I love you so.

packermom said...

I just love it! Three years olds!.........my very favorite age. So glad you're writing these things down.

stian said...

it's not like women in our family to be dramatic!!! send her to me and i'll fix that!!