Tuesday, April 12, 2011

We go for the food

For Drew’s 3 week birthday (okay, Greg got the tickets free from work), we took the family to Minute Maid Park for the Astros season opener. It really was a lot of fun, although not in the excpected MLB-fun kinda way. We took the time to teach the kids some important sports viewing lessons.

  1. Must have the appearance of having fun at all times
2011-04-0819.01.47-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg 2. It’s not only acceptable, but expected, to stare at all the crazies around you, especially the drunk ones.
2011-04-0818.27.57-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg 3. Look in the general vicinity of the playing field every once in awhile. Shouting, yelling, and cheering are encouraged. IMG_1390-2011-04-12-14-33.JPG 4. When the crowd cheers, look at each other with excitement.
2011-04-0818.41.52-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg 5. This one is important. You MUST take a picture of the field to prove that you were there.
2011-04-0818.18.21-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg 6. Participate in “the wave.” This was Kate’s favorite part of the whole evening. I don’t blame her. It’s good stuff. 7. Napping is also encouraged. In fact, showing up right after you eat, sleep the whole time, and leave when it's time to get out of the car seat and eat again is a great plan.
2011-04-0818.18.39-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg 8. Bring your camera. 9. Charge the battery in your camera. 10. Bring your cell phone with a camera, in case you remembered number 8, but forgot number 9. 11.You don’t need to stay past the 6th inning. Ever. 12. Most importantly... WE GO FOR THE F O O D!
2011-04-0818.38.25-1-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg2011-04-0818.34.37-2011-04-12-14-33.jpg

I won’t elaborate much more except to say that Minute Maid Park is no Dodger stadium. The ice cream in a hat was Blue Bell (mmmmmm.....), the people are dressed nicely (and in Astros attire. All of them), and no one in a Mariners jersey was killed in the parking lot. However, the dogs weren’t as good and they didn’t have the garlic fries that I crave every time I think of baseball.

Oh, and bonus points to anyone who noticed Kate’s 3rd-inning hair clip change-up. She felt like it was time.

3 comments:

Andrea J said...

I love a Dodgers game, but the dangers of the parking lot darken my dreams. Kate's hair is really great - lucky lady.

Taryn and the boys said...

i was wondering what looked different about kate in that last picture. it was the clip, she is so cute!

Jean said...

Hahaha!! Great fun for all! I'm so impressed that you guys attempted (and succeeded at) a baseball game - I just picture Weston escaping after the first inning, and Tim and I chasing him all over the stadium.

And I think that "we go for the food" pretty much sums up the Andersons. All the time.