Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Are we 3 yet?

I wasn’t quite sure how to handle this whole birthday business this year. Their real birthday is this Saturday, one day after my scheduled C-section. I knew I wouldn’t have the strength (mentally or physically) to do it a week after and I knew I’d put myself into labor if I tried to do it before. So, when some friends invited us over for dinner Saturday night, I thought it would work perfectly if we brought the dessert, put some candles in it and called it a birthday party. They were thrilled.

They kept asking if they’re 3 now and I was not quite sure what to say, because I do want to have some sort of celebration this Saturday when the baby can shower them with presents. So, I say the party was this weekend and their birthday is next weekend. They seem to be okay with that.

For the record, I didn’t feed them quiche as their birthday dessert, although that’s what it looks like. It’s actually Toll House Pie and it was delicious.

IMG_0705-2011-03-16-12-46.JPGIMG_0709-2011-03-16-12-46.JPGIMG_0717-2011-03-16-12-46.JPGIMG_0738-2011-03-16-12-46.JPG

I am absolutely in love with my little almost 3-year-olds right now. They are so much fun to be around. Ethan decided to skip the terrible two’s, but he’s fitting into the terrible three’s nicely. But it’s okay, because Kate took the terrible twos by storm and now she’s turning into a sweet and adorable little almost 3-year-old. They get along SO WELL and hang out all day pretty much keeping themselves occupied. They often tell me to leave them alone. It is counter intuitive, though, because the more they get along, the more I want to leave them alone, but really it just means the more time they’re scheming naughty things. A father of twins once told me that “two toddlers together can do more damage than any two toddlers alone could dream of doing.” That has never been more true than it is now. But honestly, they really are quite delightful and people keep asking me if I’m ready to be done being pregnant and I say, “NO!” I don’t want to mess up what great thing we’ve got going.

Some funny things about right now:

  • They for some reason think that now that they turned 3, it’s time to get baptized.
  • Earlier today Ethan asked me for a Kleenex to get a spider. I followed him to see a giant spider crawling on the carpet. I told him I’d take care of it, but he REALLY wanted to do it. So I gave the spider a life-threatening blow and Ethan cleaned it up. What a man.
  • I FINALLY upgraded them to big kid cups and they are doing really well with them. They’ve always had the skills, but the naughtiness in them sometimes gets the better of them. I can’t leave them alone during mealtime anymore.
  • They’re still in cribs. For now.
  • They still take a nap every day. For now.
  • They’re still in high chairs. For a long time.
  • Kate is really interested in the time. She’s learned that we do certain things at the same time each day. Right after lunch, she’ll go look at the clock and ask, “is it one o’clock?” knowing that that means nap time.
  • Ethan has rediscovered the joy of counting and wants to count everything. Everywhere. All the time.
  • They’ve officially entered their brackets into ESPN.com Both have Duke winning. They’ve been taught well.
  • Ethan put Kate in time out this morning for not sharing. He told her to put her back up against the wall and when she was finished, she had to say she was sorry. She did all of these things and then they went back to playing with whatever they were playing with. Considering Kate is always the ring leader of this little duo, I was quite proud of my little man.
  • When putting them down for naps or bedtime, they have to say a long list of good night saying, like “have a good nap/night,” “good night,” “sweet dreams,” “see you tomorrow,” and about 12 other things. If I stop too early, I can hear them crying in their cribs, “I wanna say I looooove yoooooouuuuuu.”
  • Kate really has been such a sweetheart lately and we tell her all the time. I think it’s gone to her head because she often tells me, “I’m really cute, you know.”
  • I took them to their 3-year well visit last month and they each got 2 shots. Ethan told me that he’s tough because he got two shots and I only get one shot (my weekly progesterone shots).
While I am absolutely thrilled to bring another child into this family, I’m a little/lot sad that this period of our lives will be over. The twins will be just 2 of our 3 children instead of our whole lives. It’s mostly just a strange thought. My C-Section is set for this Friday. Two days. Our lives are going to change. Again. And I can’t wait. Wish us luck.

7 comments:

The Swindlehurst's said...

They are getting so big, I love it! Kooper skipped past the terrible two as well but he has really thrown me for a loop with the 3's! You will do so good as a mommy of 3, and Im sure your kidos will adjust perfectly! Kate will be such a good helper, and Im sure Ethan will follow right along! I cant wait to here how it goes, Im so happy for you!

emilymhjohnson said...

Good luck Lauren! You are gonna fall in love with this new one so fast and so will the twins. I know it's a different situation but Milo has been obsessed with his little brother from day one. Sometimes I take him out to put him in the car before Walter and Milo gets very upset and yells "Baby! Baby!" As in "Don't forget the baby, stupid! Do I have to do everything around here?" It'll be great! I'm so excited for you! And by the way (because it needs to be said) you are a GREAT blogger! I love reading your posts.

Danielle said...

Wow, good luck! I didn't realize you were so close! I hope everything goes smoothly, and I can't wait to hear about the new addition!

packermom said...

Oh, so sweet. How great to see them growing up and almost three. I went back the other day and looked at their newborn pictures. What a long way they have come!

And.....when these two are heading off to kindergarten you will be SO grateful for that little guy still at home!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

Yay for you! TWO more days!

I can't even imagine what the first 18 months would be like with twins - but I think I'd love 3 year old twins. Nate loves having buddies around all the time and your kids do!

Can't wait to meet your little one. Via the blog, at least!

danielle said...

good luck!

The Hyer Family said...

Good luck from Glendora! You'll do great! I have #4 coming mid-September and I thought it was crazy to have 3 of my kid's birthdays withing 6 weeks of each other (Kate and Charlie are both October) but you've got 3 in 2 days--you win :). Can't wait to see the pics! Follow up--I'm about to try my 3rd attempt to put in the correct word verification! They don't make those things very clear!