for one hot-lookin’ lady:
There are 2 reasons I know I was meant to live in the 21st century
#1: the DVR
#2: Modern Medicine
As most of you know, my body was just not made to have children. But thankfully, Heavenly Father put me on this earth at a time where that can be fixed:
- After 2 years of trying, pregnancy #1 came with the help of Clomid
- At 20 weeks pregnant, I found myself in labor and delivery learning that I have an incompetent cervix. With the help of a cerclage, very strict bed rest, weekly visits to the doctor for monitoring, and weekly shots of progesterone, I was able to deliver the twins at 34 weeks
- They then had to stay in the NICU for 2 and 3 weeks because of feeding and breathing issues. I won’t even go into the modern miracle that the NICU is.
- After they were born, I had a surgery where a permanent cerclage was put in place so I wouldn’t have to be on bed rest for future pregnancies
- With pregnancy #2, I’ve had the weekly progesterone shots, but I’ve been able to maintain “active mom” status
- Something about the flight home from California 2 weeks ago put my body into all sorts of distress and I was in the hospital contracting for all of Saturday and flat on the couch all day Sunday. They gave me steroid shots for the baby’s lungs and some other shots to stop contractions and started me on a pill (terbutaline, for those who care) that I now take every 8 hours. These pills make me shaky like Mohammed Ali (is that insensitive?) but keep the baby inside where he should be, till hopefully 36 weeks. My status has been demoted to “limited activity,” which means I can’t really clean, do grocery shopping, carry my children, or jump on trampolines.
So this is my ode to modern medicine. I heart you. I am so grateful that research has gone before me and made it so that I can get fat like a cow and have 3 little squirts in my house.
But after these past 2 weeks, don’t be surprised if there’s never a 4th.
17 comments:
I also must give a shout-out to modern medicine for those of us who need a little help making a baby! It truly is a miracle.
Every week is an accomplishment! Good job!
Amen. Oh man...that medicine is awful. I hate to have a shot of it and it gave me the WORST shakes. Felt like I was on speed. I am so glad that this time around is at least a bit better :) You look amazing. I sure hope things continue to get better. Best of luck.
Karla
I've got goose bumps from reading your story. Good luck over the next little while, we can't wait to see pictures of Packer #3!
You look fantastic! I can't believe how much work it is for you to get a kid here. They sure are adorable once they arrive though. Here's to hoping #3 stays put as long as possible.
Yes, modern medicine is amazing. We're having trouble getting #2 to come on down and join us. Hopeful that modern medicine will solve the problem. Congrats, you're almost there! The only sad thing about no bed rest is the lack of books that you're probably reading...which will mean I'll have less options when I need a good book to read (because I always go to you for suggestions). Selfish reasons.
I'm with you - so grateful I wasn't born 30 years earlier so all these things are possible....but still so not fun to go through. You are so close though! We're thinking of you xx
Your body may not like being pregnant, but your body makes pregnancy look good! I'm so happy you haven't had to go through the awful with this pregnancy! And I do hope the terb does it's job and that you can make it to 36-38 weeks!
p.s. I meant awful bedrest.
So glad you're doing well!!! Yay for modern medicine.
What fun! (Ha... just kidding.) Girl, you are a trooper!!! How do you do "limited activity" with twins, btw? Anyway, I'll be praying that that baby stays put for as long as possible. YOU LOOK GREAT!!!!!
In my family we have a little credo: "don't hesitate, medicate" :) We're grateful for modern meds too.
You do look super great! :) And good luck this last little stretch.
Hey Lauren! Don't know if you remember me, but I'm Heather Dahlquist (now Glass) from Chicago about 5 years ago. It's been fun catching up with you on your blog! What a beautiful family! Good luck with the rest of your pregnancy. I have a family blog, too: http://theglassfamily3.blogspot.com
Hey Lauren, this is Kelly (Christiansen)...i don't know if you know that i stalk your blog, but I do. Anyway, just wanted to agree on the whole modern medicine thing. our situation wasn't nearly as crazy as yours but we did have a difficult time getting pregnant and Ollie was in the NICU for a couple days and apparently i can't deliver babies and have to have c-sections as well. such a simple procedure that without it many moms and kids would be dying. so weird and yay for modern medicine!! good luck with the last few weeks!
Amen.
You look great. By the way...send me your address and I will send a little surprise your way. My email is hunguren at hotmail dot com.
I hear ya sister, Hooray for modern medicine!!! Hang in there, you can do these final few weeks.
You are beautiful!!!
and let's be honest, I would have died as a pioneer... first one to go.
SO enjoyed talking with you.
Love you so.
Lauren, I hadn't read your blog in a while but you just look so darling and I am so thrilled for your third baby on the way. I wish I were there to help do your grocery shopping or hold your kids. Good luck. You will be in our prayers. Keep us posted. We miss you!
Post a Comment