Thursday, October 7, 2010

An interview with the author

First off, it’s been 6 months now. How’s Texas? Well, Texas is Texas. We had a couple of months there where my sanity was touch and go. It wasn’t really HOT, per se, but humid, and sticky and gross. That’s more like it. Now the weather is a b s o l u t e l y gorgeous and stick-free. The people are nice as can be, our ward is great, it’s green and beautiful, the BBQ is top notch, and the opening of an HEB grocery store 5 minutes away has made my life a complete dream come true. The drivers aren’t anything to complain about (which hasn’t been the case for 2 of the previous places I’ve lived- won’t say which ones), but their DPS (their version of DMV) definitely IS. I mean, it’s no Pasadena DMV (where I once witnessed a man attack the bullet-proof glass), but I waited 3 hours to get my license (and I won’t get into the emotional wreck I was when I had to surrender my CA license). We had a minor setback in September when we left the nastiness here to the beautifulness of California and hung out with family again, but we’re going to be okay. Like I mentioned, July and August were painful, but other than that, we seem to be happy as clams.
packer%27s-7-2010-10-7-14-30.jpg
Sources tell me that you’re still using the same phone you’ve been using since the Bush administration. Do you care to comment? Well, to be honest, this thing has been loyal to me for more than 5 years. Who am I go go behind it’s back and replace it? It’s taken a few dives, and it’s days are definitely numbered, but I will probably continue to use it till it’s final days of operation. Do you also want to judge me for still using the same phone number, with a Chicago area code?
IMG_9110-2010-10-7-14-30.JPG
Let’s switch gears a bit. I can’t ignore the elephant in the room. Your belly is growing out-of-control large. Is that due to the Texas BBQ or a new Packer family member? Well, a little bit of both, actually. We’ll be welcoming a new addition (only one; we decided to take the traditional route this time) to our family sometime in March, quite possibly the 19th, which as some of you may know to be the birthday of 2 other members of our family, isn’t that special? We are thrilled and well, terrified. Three children in three years. Who does that? I am so excited, though, and quite honestly, I can’t wait to see what it’s like to only have one newborn in the house. I can’t wait to hold him/her to my heart’s content and not feel the guilt of knowing that another one needs me, okay until one of my 3-year olds needs me, that is. We’re excited for the baby and for our growing family.

Do you have names picked out? No, not at all. The last ultrasound gave evidence for the technician to believe that it’s a boy and although I think we were both hoping for that to be the case, we do not have a single boy name. So, it looks like we’ll be turning this over to the capable hands of our children. Kate has decided that if is a girl, it will be Sally (as in Cars) or Ariel (the singing mermaid) and Ethan says that if it’s a boy it will be Lightning McQueen (also Cars). All are excellent choices, I don’t think we can go wrong.

Avid Double the Fun readers like myself know that there were problems with your first pregnancy. How are things going so far with this one? I will almost definitely NOT have to go on bed rest this time. Some of you recall that I had a surgery when the twins were 5 months old to ensure that this would be the case. I will, however, have to have a C-section because of it. I didn’t have one with the twins, so naturally, I’m scared. But it’s a small price to pay and I don’t really think too much about that. I will also, starting next week, have a weekly visit from a nurse who will give me a shot of progesterone to prevent pre-term labor. I had this last time and on bed rest, I happily welcomed the visit, but not being on bed rest, I’m sure I will dread the shots. Again, small price to pay and all that.

I think that’s all I have for you today. Thanks for taking the time to talk to us. Oh, any time. And thank you.

29 comments:

danielle said...

so many things in this post! 1 - that polka dot picture of the twins is beyond adorable. 2 - its been 6 months already? and 3 - CONGRATULATIONS!!

Melissa said...

I am over the moon for your little family. Congratulations!! The twins are adorable!(as if you didn't already know)

Kate said...

Congrats on the new addition! The twins are adorable. Has the cheapness of Texas won over your heart yet, because for what we are paying in rent for our small apartment in DC, we could own a lovely large house.
Congrats again!

The Hunt House said...

Um...where do I start? How about all I can say is CONGRATS! I am so happy for you all especially for this new little one who will be coming to an amazing mother and family. Glad things are happy and working out for you. Lots of love!
The Hunts

Andrea J said...

a lot of great info. But mostly congrats! I'm happy to hear you won't have to be on bed rest with any luck :) so if you have to have a c-section you could choose to have all your children's bdays on the same day right?

Lindsey said...

I think I laughed pretty much the entire time I was reading that. I think you might just be the funniest person in all of texas, or at least in your household :) And you can tell him I said that. Congrats again on number 3, wow you are brave, and congrats. Oh and the matching outfits in that picture are just more than words. Love ya, miss ya, glad texas is treating you well.

Jessica said...

Congrats from the Gaby's. We are happy for you and hope all continues to go well.
Also please never stop blogging, it's all I can do to stop laughing when I read your posts!

Danielle said...

That's fantastic! Congratulations! How exciting. Good luck with the pregnancy. I'm so glad to hear you won't have to be on bed rest.

Wow, has it really been six months?? I can't believe it. I'm glad you guys are enjoying it there.

Karrie said...

Congratulations on your wonderful news!! I am so excited for the both of you.

Also I wanted to thank you for the recommendation for the baby trend stroller. We LOVE it! It has worked out great for us. Please send all other useful multiple suggestions our way:)

mccall said...

The twins are so cute!!! I see were I got my sense of humor from, you are way too funny! Miss you guys tell the children and Greg I say hello!

Lindsay Griffeth said...

YAY, YAY, YAY!

I'm so happy for you guys! I have to say that round two with a baby is pretty fun!

packermom said...

I think you should go for March 19.....get those birthday parties all over in one day!

Jeannie said...

Wow! How exciting for you guys. Congratulations!! Just think of all the fun stories you'll have with THREE Packer kids. ;)

lyndsey said...

congrats! so exciting.

acandiedapple said...

Wow! Congrats! I LOVE the tie in that picture. In your next interview could you address that tie and where us readers could locate one?

Yay for the baby! You should totally shoot for the 19th. The twins already share a birthday so it wouldn't be any different really. Anyway, Congrats!

Whitney said...

You are darling. And your kids are darling - particularly loving Kate's curls! And congrats! So happy for you!

katherine said...

I'm so glad that Houston humidity has simmered down. Now you can enjoy your winter while everyone else freezes their behinds off :). We're planning on making our way down to H-town for Thanksgiving. Will you be there? I still can't believe the twins are full-fledged toddlers. They'll make wonderful older siblings! How exciting--congratulations!

Meagan said...

Haha... Mccall... Congrats Lauren! Very exciting!

Jon and Julie said...

Big Congratulations!!! Good thing I stalk your blog religiously...would have hated to miss out on this one :) I am so excited for you! Please come visit Cali soon- I'll even let you tape your picture to my license and hold it for a little bit. How can you pass that up? So, just FYI, you started an all out battle with my family...can you pick up a wild or can you not? After a long and painful poll the concensus is...yes, you can discard a wild but no, the next player cannot pick up the pile. Is that what you remember? Anyway, you have inspired the Goddard fam to wipe off the dust piled on the cards and play to the death!!!!
Again Congrats to you and your fam!

Alissa said...

Totally cracked me up. And I loved the pictures. Better hope it's a boy so the Packer girls don't totally outnumber the boys!

Nat said...

How exciting congratulations! Three in three years wow. The twins look adorable and hopefully this pregnancy will be a breeze. Congrats again.

Jean said...

BAAAAA!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That is fabulous!!! I'm a little bummed that you're only having one baby this time, as you should probably be advancing to triplets instead of backtracking. But that's alright. :-) I'm REALLY glad that everything's going swimmingly so far!! And I'm glad that you're loving Texas (yay nice weather), and that your kids are so freaking cute. :-) I love that picture!!!

Unknown said...

Congratulations!!! I'm glad all is well with this pregnancy too.

Summer Sarah Wang said...

Hi! Congrats! :) I can't believe how much the twins have grown.
And don't worry, C-sections aren't that bad at all (I feel great anyways at least).

emilymhjohnson said...

Yay! So now will it be "Triple the Fun"? Your little ones are so freaking cute. Keep posting! I love it!

Unguren said...

That is so fun. Congrats!

We have 4 kids ages 5 and under and we think that is crazy...good luck.
I also have had c-sections with my last 3 babies and I love it. Most people think that I am crazy but I think it is the way to go. Just make sure that you get up and start moving around as soon as you can after the surgery. That makes all the difference.

amelia said...

PACKERS!!! CONGRATS! Glad you're feeling well Lauren...can't wait to see this guy!

Lorraine said...

Congrats, Lauren and Greg! So exciting!

sachia said...

Wooo hoo...yes I am the last person to read this but I am SOOOOOO excited that your pregnant!!! Yay, this baby is gonna be a a true TEXAN...born and raised in the Lone Star state. Way to make it official lady...next stop.....a home!