Monday, February 1, 2016

Growth

 60 years ago, during the war, my grandparents lived in San Antonio. There was 1 small branch covering the metropolitan area.
This past weekend, the 7th stake in San Antonio was formed. It's exciting to be a part of so much growth. Both in the church, and in our personal lives.
Greg was called as the 2nd counselor in the new stake presidency and you better believe it came as quite the surprise. It's been a whirlwind of a week; forming a new stake is busy times.
But it will get better. And we will grow. And I'm excited to see it all unfold.


Elder Jones, our area authority, and Elder Gavarett, from the seventy, came to do the business. It was a neat experience to meet with these men. Before Greg got the call, I had a personal interview with Elder Jones. I have never been more terrified and yet calm in the same situation in my life. 


They hit the ground running, and were off doing visits Sunday night, and I knew they wouldn't return before bedtime. So that night, I sat down with the kids and tried my best to explain to them our new lives. I explained the calling, and the time and spiritual commitment it would mean for all of us. 
I thought I did a good job, and that they were somewhat comprehending the situation. Until...

Kate: So we're not going to see dad for 10 years??? I'll be 17!!!

At least her math was correct.

5 comments:

alisha said...

Good luck to you all! When my dad was called to serve in a bishopric at BYU, my brother cried and cried when my parents told him. He thought my dad was going on a mission and he wouldn't see our dad for 5 years. He was much happier to know our dad would be gone mostly on Sundays and he'd still get to see our dad.

packermom said...

You all will do a great job....or should I say y'all. :) Proud of you, and hugs for Kate.

stian said...

your life is unreal.... like there is no part of it where am i like, 'oh ya, i could imagine that in my world!' youre the best!!

Kelly said...

Lauren, seriously this post made me cry. I read it to Erik and we discussed the deep sacrifice members of the church give and how amazing it is! Greg must be utterly amazing which I am not surprised as you certainly are and wouldn't have married anyone any less. Erik serves at the STake Clerk in our Stake and we always are commenting on how demanding of a calling being a member of the STake Presidency is. (Luckily Eriks is VERY minimal compared to all they do). I cried because Kate's life won't be the same until she is 17 and maybe then her dad will be an area authority or called as a mission leader...who knows what the Lord has in store for your family. My prayers will be sent your way tonight Lauren. I think I would probably die if that ever happened to me. You are an inspiration. Tell Greg we love him and he will do great!

Kelly said...

Just re read: meant mission President