Ethan finished his tball season as well. It wasn't quite as magical as Kate's. Sports on the boys' side never are. But he sure had a great time. That kid can hit a ball.
One story that I don't want to forget. I know my writing won't be able to give this sweet story it's justice, but I will put it down here for memory's sake.
At the end of the season, there was a single-loss elimination tournament. I explained to Ethan before the game that if he won, he would play again on Wednesday. If he lost, tball was over. I did not, in any way, tell him this to add pressure, just information. Kate had already had her tournament, so I was just explaining that it was like Kate's. More like, "have fun, this may be your last game," kind of talk.
Well, they lost the first game of the tournament. T-ball was over. Wahoo! I mean, darn. Too bad.
He was very quiet after the game and the whole way home.
I thought, good. I want him to care. I want him to want to try harder next year. Maybe this sweet little thing does have a smidgen of competition in him, after all.
After we walked in the door, with tears in his eyes, he handed me his hat and said, "here. I guess you can just throw this away."
Now I'm thinking, oh great. We've got a quitter. And I started to get a little angry. Luckily, though, I decided to dig for answers before I got mad.
Me: Why would I throw it away? You could still wear it.
Ethan: Well, I can't play t-ball anymore.
Me: Why not?
Ethan: Because you said if I lost the game, t-ball was over and I can't play anymore.
Oh, this boy of mine is going to break my heart time and time again, isn't he? He thought that by losing this game, his future in America's favorite sport was over.
I pulled him on to my lap and explained that it was just the end of this season. He would play again next year and the year after that. Those big blue eyes looked at me and said, "Really?"
Yes, really, sweet thing. I will sit through as many baseball seasons as you want to play. I will cheer loudly and enjoy every minute.
And I will eat snacks.





2 comments:
Oh Ethan, that breaks my heart that he thought t-ball was over forever.
love that kid!! but aunt stian only played t-ball one year and look how she turned out!!
Post a Comment