Thursday, August 12, 2010

Things I don't want to forget about right now

  • They “take their coloring seriously” as their nursery leader puts it. Each week, they have to pull out a special table and chairs for them because the rest of the class has moved on to the next activity, but they just “aren’t finished.” I have no idea if it’s too early to tell, but I REALLY hope they get their father’s artistic hand. I have the world’s worst handwriting and can’t draw a stick figure for the life of me. They can already draw a pretty straight line and Ethan draws a better circle than I do.
  • For better or worse, they are getting along really well. Sure, they fight and I’m sure they always will, but they just love playing with each other. Of course, this leads to mischief, but my magic eraser hasn’t failed me yet.
  • Before we go into a public restroom, Kate has to make sure we go in the one with the “gull” on it.
  • IMG_8322-2010-08-12-18-42.JPG
  • At least once and day, Kate comes up to me with her purse and keys and says to me, “give me a kiss. I’m going to ______. Have fun! See ya!” Usually it’s work, but sometimes she goes to Target or Costco.
  • Nine times out of ten Ethan chooses galloping as his form of travel.
  • The other one time is on this baby:

IMG_8285-2010-08-12-18-42.JPG

  • They can be heard singing, “I know you. I danced with you once upon a dream. I know it’s true. I danced with you once upon a dream.” I would correct the words if I knew them.
  • They love to help me make dinner. I learned the lesson tonight to not let them season anyone’s food but theirs. Too much garlic salt can be a bad thing.
  • We read at least 15 books a day. And often times it’s the same book over and over. The library is the only thing keeping my sanity in check right now.
  • They have been in a Duplo phase for quite a while. We play with them for about an hour every day.
  • Kate has started putting Dolly in time out. When she gets out, she has to tell Ethan she’s sorry for hitting him and give him loves. Oh dear.
  • They often ask me a question (one that they don’t know the answer to) and when I answer, they’ll say, “you’re right!”
  • They’re really interested in the sounds things make. They’ll say, “what does a rainbow say?” or “what does Cinderella say?”
  • They went to their first movie this week. How to Train Your Dragon. Ethan LOVED it. I so wish I had a picture of it. Remembered the camera. Forgot the memory card.
  • We’ve gotten in the habit of letting them take a book with them to bed. It works, though. They lay there looking at their books till they fall asleep. And when we come to get them in the morning, they’re usually looking at it again. Wish I would have figured this trick out a long time ago.
  • I can get Kate to wear anything or really do anything (even share sometimes) if I tell her Fancy Nancy or a princess would wear/do it. She has a book about princesses and manners and if I ask her to share, she’ll say, “yes, like Ariel.”
  • Greg doesn’t usually make it home for dinner, so we eat and then he eats when he comes home. Whether they loved or hated what I fed them, when Greg is eating the same thing an hour or so later, it suddenly is much tastier. They usually eat half his dinner. I could probably feed them candy and give Greg a plate of dirt and they would still eat more off of Greg’s plate than their own.
  • Almost all Texas homes have a gameroon upstairs where most people keep their toys. Every time we walk into a house, they’ll say, “should we go upstairs and play with toys?” Sometimes, they’re not even shy enough to ask. They’ll just head upstairs.

3 comments:

Andrea J said...

Mmm, an upstairs. Sounds delightful.

Alissa said...

So cute. Do you leave a light on with the books, or is it more of a comfort thing? I'll have to give that one a try. They look so grown up!

packermom said...

I am so glad you are recording these cute sayings and moments. I love reading about them!!!