Monday, August 2, 2010

Big kid beds?

Whenever I ask people when it’s time to move to the big kid bed, they say one of two things. One, when they start climbing out or two, when you need the crib for a new baby. Sometimes, there’s a third option and that is an upcoming vacation and bringing a pac n play along just wasn’t an option. My question is this- if neither of those things are the case, THEN when is it time to make the switch? When we were in Minnesota, they slept in twin beds and did... okay. They slept well. Kate fell out once or twice. There were a couple of naps that were really hard, but for the most part, it went okay.

Here’s my major trepidation: there’s two of them. When I put them down in the afternoon and say, “good night, kids. Have a good nap.” In twinese, that translates to, “have a fun party. Please jump and squeal and get as hyper as possible for at least an hour. Then, if you feel like lying down for a little snoozer, go for it.” I know that once I make the switch to beds, naptimes will be a thing of the past. I mean, maybe if we work really hard and promise lots of bribes, we might get back to regular naptimes, but there’s no guarantees when it comes to toddlers. (And, I feel very strongly that they should still share a room at this point. I feel like being a twin is a huge part of their identity and I don’t want to be the one to mess with that. I know there will be a time where sharing a room will no longer be necessary (appropriate), but I’m really hoping they’ll be sleeping in regular beds by then.)

I guess my question is this- when is it necessary? I mean, when they’re filling out their college applications and they have to put that they slept in a crib until they were 3, will that automatically get their apps tossed to the “do not even consider” pile?

I don’t know why I’m so bothered by this subject. I guess it’s just that most of their “friends” (aka kids they steal toys from) sleep in big beds. But, they ALL fit into one of those categories. Should I wait until they start to climb out? Should I wait until they stop napping? Should I wait till they’re 12? Their cribs do convert into toddler beds. I’ve thought maybe I could try it and go back if it sends me into insanity?

Should I stop worrying about this and go clean my kitchen?

14 comments:

Melanie said...

We only moved Owen to a big bed because a)he was sleeping in a pack n play and was getting too big for it, b)we have a baby on the way, and c)we needed a place to put our futon and his bedroom worked. So, we fit into one of those categories.

I don't think there's anything wrong with keeping them in cribs still. If they go to sleep in their cribs now, and you think their sleep will be messed up with big beds, why mess it up?

As for when to switch them out, I don't know. I'd say if they start climbing out or if they act like they want a big bed. Or just whenever you feel like it!

Bre said...

I think my brain just started hurting after reading this post. I'm still working on "How do I get them sleeping through the night" phase. I know what you mean about not wanting to separate them though. I cried when I had to finally put them in separate cribs.

Jean said...

I say stop worrying. We don't fit into the two traditional categories, either, so I'm perfectly content to just let Weston stay in his crib until one of those two things happens. (Well, if he's 4 and he still hasn't climbed out of his crib, first I'll worry about his mental capacity, and then maybe at that time I'll go ahead and make the switch to a big bed on his behalf.)

But for now, I'm lovin' the crib!! I have no qualms about it. (Last I checked, that's one of the less common questions on college applications anyway.) He's comfortable, he's contained, and I don't need it for anything else, so we're just sticking with it until we have a need to change! :-)

Catherine said...

I don't think you'll be able to go back once you switch, so don't do it until you're sure you want to. I say leave them as long as you can.

Lindsay Griffeth said...

clean the kitchen, for sure. :)

but i'm the same way! I always wonder what I should do and when. Here's my bit of advice that worked well with Nate and I didn't even mean to do it! I moved him over to a "big boy bed" BEFORE he started climbing out of his crib and then it took him a long time to realize that he could even climb out of that! Granted, it was up against a wall with one of the side rails . . . but I was still able to get good naps out of him for months. (and I fall in to the "baby on the way" category or I would have left him in his crib for a while).

If naps are going to be a problem, leave them in their cribs. I am now experiencing life with a kiddo that won't nap and it's no fun! :) Make the naps last as long as possible!

Lindsey said...

I would definitely keep them in the bed until they climb out or you need them for a baby. Naps became infrequent when I switched her to a bed. Brooklyn started climbing out of her crib at 18 months. So since it is higher in the back then in the front, I turned the crib around. It made it more difficult to get her in & out, but I kept my sanity for a few more months until we were getting ready to Easton. I wouldn't be concerned with getting them into a "big kid" bed until you absolutely have to.

Kelly said...

Lauren- I love your blog by the way! :) It brings me back to the days of craziness where I wish I could return now that I have entered the days of insanity! :)

On the matter of beds, my pediatrician whom I ADORE told me to keep my kids in a bed as long as they will stay. He told me his kids all slept in cribs until they were 3 and the transition to beds was cake. I wholeheartedly agree!!

Parker slept in a crib until he was 3 and we bought him a bed and he NEVER climbed out. The girls started crawling out of their cribs at about 2 1/2 and just mentally didnt' get the concept of staying in them to sleep, or bribing, etc. So I bought them the tent nets to keep them enclosed. I HAD to have them take naps for my sanity (which did I already mention is gone now! :))

But regardless when we put them in beds they were a little younger than 3 maybe 2 and 10 months or so. We put rails up on the sides and they didn't get out either. IT was a very smooth transition. NOw days it's not so smooth and they climb in bed with each other, or come out for one last drink. But back in the good old days they did sleep well even in their beds. EVERYONE I know who put their kids in beds too early (around 2), ended up loosing naps altogether. That was a main motivator for keeping them in cribs for me. And I will say that when we switched them to beds that is when the naps faded. Parker on the other hand being in his room by himself took naps until Kindergarten :). It has worked like magic for me to keep them in, I just think if you try to switch 2 2 year olds who probably still need naps into beds it's going to be mass chaos. When they are 3 they can rationalize a little better, understand "threats/bribes" better and just seem more ready. That's my two sense! :)

Lis said...

Hi Lauren,
So fun to read about cousin camp! Glad you guys had a great time!

Thought I'd chime in about beds... you know, since you asked! :) We fall under the category of "if it's not broken, don't fix it!!" We left both Brooklyn and Anderson in their crib until they were 3 for several reasons - they weren't climbing out, they were taking GREAT naps, and it was just plain working for us. (When Andy came along, B(2 1/2) was in a room far away and we needed the security of having her contained and not wandering a big house in the middle of the night trying to find us. Andy went into a cradle while she kept the crib.) We ended up transitioning them both to twin beds around 3 and although there were some rocky moments (there always will be during transitions), overall the transition for both was very smooth. (added note: tried a toddler bed for Andy - did NOT work. Twin beds are great!)

Anyways, this worked for us and we think they should be able to get into college ok... hopefully! :) For us the naps were key! Both kids kept naps past age 3.

HOWEVER, that all said, do what feels right for you. There will be a point where you will feel ready to make the change. (One other thing to think about is age of potty training. Kind of hard to jump out of the crib to run to the potty! Ours were NOT early trainers;)) You'll know when it's time though!

Hmm, thinking I should have just emailed! Say hi to Greg! :)

Andrea J said...

My friend with twins had her kids in cribs well into their three year old years; maybe they got them when they turned 4. These particular twins are almost 5 and still take daily naps, so maybe she's onto something.

Heather said...

First of all you make me laugh so hard! Love your blog. Secondly-Keep them in cribs as long as possible!!!! Just trust me!

The Hyer Family said...

I say stop worrying too...Charlie will be in his crib for a long time, as there's no baby coming anytime soon, and I like the confinement...good luck with the decision!

The Sparks said...

I agree with everyone else and would keep them in cribs as long as possible. If Brooklyn hadn't started climbing out of her crib, she would still be in one. Also, converting the crib to the toddler bed and then turning in back into a crib if it doesn't seem to work might give them the idea to climb out. As long as they are sleeping well and comfortable in their crib, I would keep them in it.

Alissa said...

I meant to comment a while ago. No way would I move them to beds. Stay on that train as long as you can.

sachia said...

Sienna is climbing out of her crib but I heard a big thug the other day and she hasn't climbed out since. I think she must have gotten the picture that falling out of her crib......hurts. We are going to order a bed for her anyways with siderails. I don't want any more accidents.

K and E are getting sooooo big!!! We miss you guys!