Saturday, September 19, 2009

18 Months

1. Ethan almost always sleeps on his side, Kate on her back with her legs propped up on the bumper, her legs sticking through the spokes in her crib.
2. This guy can not let one wound heal before getting new one. Always on his face. 3. We've been attending nursery for a couple months together, but tomorrow, I will walk the blessed walk from nursery to Sunday School alone. I don't even care if they make it 5 minutes before crying for me. The glimpse of freedom will suffice for one week.
4. They l o v e brushing their teeth and now we even started flossing. I'm sure it's doing a whole lot of good letting them suck on the mint flavoring, but it sure looks cute. 5. They love Mickey Mouse Clubhouse and apparently I let them watch it way too much, because now they will climb up on the couch, say "Mimmie. Pees" One day I will be strong and say no, but for now, I just can't.
6. They wash their hands at least 5 times a day. Sometimes, I pull the stool up to the sink, fill it a little with water and let them play.
7. Sometimes the washing will lead to combing their hair (we keep the comb at the sink) and they also comb their hair 5 times a day. As soon as I'm done getting them dressed, they'll pat their head, say "hay" (hair), and I know they want it combed.
8. I swore I wouldn't give them a pen/pencil/crayon until they were 12, but the doctor always asks and they color in nursery, so we color with pencils sometimes. They think they're pretty cool. 9. I now know how Pottery Barn can get away with selling these for an arm and a leg. Ethan and especially Kate love to sit in big people chairs. Again, they think they're cool. 10. They still have a hard time saying "hi" or "bye" while the person they are saying it to is still there.
11. I have come to learn that I put lotion on my kids more than the average mom. (I just love the way it smells!) Well, my kids have learned the ways. They always want to help putting it on and Kate makes sure her toes get the lotion first.
12. Still obsessed with lights and they want to play with light switches all day, so the stool comes out again for this little activity. 13. I can always tell when I'm talking to a mother of twins, because instead of asking if they get along, she will ask if they fight. They fight. They bite. They push. They steal toys. All. Day. Long.
14. And it's not always easier when they are getting along, because that usually means that they're getting into trouble.
15. Yes, we do own toys, and though they do play with them, we read a lot.
16. I often wonder what they would be like without the other. I know I'll never know, but one thing, is I think they are way more cuddly being twins. Once one of them is sitting on my lap or getting loves, the other will RUN to me and try to out-hug or out-sit-on-my-lap the other. I only wish it were more of a fun game then tooth-and-nail.
17. They are really cute about giving loves and they will give them to each other. Sometimes it's forced, but sometimes it's not and I think that is pretty darn cute.
18. It's definitely rough and getting rougher (mothers of twins always tell me that it's toughest from 18 months to 3 years), but we are having a lot of fun. Their personalities come out more and more each day, and they are getting better at talking and expressing themselves. I really am excited every morning to see what the day will bring.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

I love hearing about all the new things they are doing. They are getting so old! We are coming to CA October 11-17. We would love to see you guys again! I'll call you when it gets closer.

Unguren said...

Another friend of ours has twins too. I know that they give her a run for her money...so I can only imagine. Actually I can't. But you seem to be handling it very well.

The Skeehan Family said...

what a most fantastic post. I love the little details and how your voice comes alive.

And man oh man, sounds like they are keeping you on your toes.

And ps, your Utah post was hilarious - can't believe you accomplished that feat - just the car ride would PETRIFY me to death.

stian said...

18 months!!!!
stop feeding them!!!!
keep them small!!!!
pleaseee!!!