Sunday, July 19, 2009

16 Months

  1. Kate calls Ethan "Gaga"
  2. When asked where everyone in the room is, they will point (okay, just Dad, Ethan and Kate), but when asked where Mommy is, they give a look that says, "there is no one in this room by that name." It's okay, children. I only take care of you every waking moment of your life. (oddly, though, they call me Mama to my face)
  3. They are giving a new definition to the word naughty.
  4. Kate is a little nurturer- if Ethan is crying, she will go get his blankie and doggie and give it to him.
  5. Ethan loves to share his food- with everyone. This is especially true at church. We always sit in front of the same family and he always tries to share his food. Usually, this food started from his mouth, so they politely refuse, but then he gets mad, gives a little yell, and then throws the food on the floor. One day in the future, I'm sure, this will be accompanied with, "Fine!"
  6. Ethan continues to mostly eat fruits and veggies. Kate continues to eat everything.
  7. Ethan is very loud. He loves to just yell. Today in church a baby from across the room was using his vocal cords, so Ethan decided to join him. His usuals are "Bababababa" and "oWAOW."
  8. They are definitely children of Greg and I. They love to stare at people. They're not afraid to get up in someone's face and stare. No smiles. No waves. Just stares. It often makes people a little uncomfortable.
  9. They like to have their hair combed.
  10. Kate is FINALLY warming up to dogs.
  11. They're pretty much one-syllable kind of kids, when it comes to words they use. However, it's not always the first syllable. Cup is "puh." Doggie is sometimes "gie."
  12. They continue to be little fishies and they have absolutely NO fear of water. They will literally see the pool and run straight for it, and into it if you let them.
  13. They love pictures of people they know, especially Daddy. They will walk around carrying it, saying, "Dadadadada." Every picture frame in our apartment that is within their reach is broken.
  14. I know they love each other, but they sure do know how to push each others' buttons. Sometimes, people will say to me, "it must be easier to have twins. They always have someone to play with." I want to fight those people.
  15. Their favorite word is light, pronounced, "Gye." This was the first word that led me to a conversation with my pediatrician. Apparently, twins seem to develop talking skills a little bit late, because they learn to communicate with each other. Also, they will develop their own words for things. One day, I noticed they were both pointing to the light, saying "gye gye gye." Occasionally, they say "gite," and sometimes it's "dite." It's so weird how they will both say words the same. It makes me wonder what kind of conversations they have with each other without anyone knowing. Okay, I'll be honest, it makes me scared.
  16. With each day, they definitely get harder and harder to handle, but they also get more fun. I love how their personality has emerged these last couple of months. I love how they understand so much of what I say and do, even though they don't always respond the way I would like them to. I love how much they love their Daddy. I love how happy they get when they know they have done something good and I am happy with them. I just love them!

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the update. It must be easy having twins b/c they always have someone to play with... =)

packermom said...

It is so fun to hear all about them! Greg said 'yite" till he was three,so......

Nicole + Brock said...

I can't believe that they are 16 months. They are getting big so fast. They are so cute!

Melissa said...

They are adorable! I wish we lived close so we could get together and visit while the kiddo's played. I would love to see my boys interact with the twins.

Alissa said...

I love that Ethan is Gaga, and they have their own language. That will be fun when they are older..."When you were babies you had your own secret language..." Can't wait to see them.

Unguren said...

They are cute. I am sure it is hard at church. They are up walking around and you can't put them in nursery yet. But at least they have each other to play with so that must make it easier. Hee hee.

B Brown said...

I feel you Lauren. You spend the most time with them, feeding, playing, diapers (& in my case some seriosu TV lately) & they still say "daddy" first. In my case "momma" still means "someone please go get me what I want."

You certainly have your hands full, but the cuteness fixes everything right?

sachia said...

Who is bonners??? I don't think having twins is EVER easy but I love her for saying that. :)

Thanks for the update, milestones are so much fun.

sachia said...

Oh, very late but I got it! Bonners was referring to number 14...FUNNY!!!!!

Eric, Janae, Kallie, Sadie said...

That's awesome that you had a dream about us, I love thinking about the old days. I was looking at pictures of us from college & holy cow, it's so sad to think how long ago that was. Your kids are so cute. I never knew twins had their own little language together, that's seriously cool.

Melanie said...

I'm finding it sure is true that as time goes by kids get harder and harder! But I am finding it fun to watch language development. Owen is starting to understand some of what I say and can even say a few words now.