Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Enchanted Rock and Fredericksburg

Ever since we moved to San Antonio, I've wanted to check out Enchanted Rock and Fredericksburg.

This weekend was the weekend. Our weekend commitments are over. Texas isn't getting any cooler. And I'm not getting any skinnier.

I didn't really capture the majesty of this place, but it really is pretty cool. A giant granite hill in the middle of the Hill Country.



 Drew pleasured us and all nearby hikers with ninja moves and poses.





 I went with zero expectations of us actually getting to the top. But not a single voice of complaint was heard, so a little less than an hour into our hike, we found ourselves at the top of Enchanted Rock.


 There were little pools of water at the top that Ethan could not get enough of. He made friends with a park ranger who told us about the tadpoles and shrimp that reside in these pools. It's quite amazing because during the summer months (like, tomorrow), these pools will completely dry out. But apparently, evolution has created a species that knows just the right type of egg to lay to make it through the harsh summer months. The eggs will know just when it's safe to hatch and when they sense it warming up, they'll lay their eggs and the cycle begins again. The beauty of God's creation extends to all creatures, big and small.


The way down was obviously more fun.




After the hike, we replenished ourselves at Hondo's- the cutest little restaurant in the cutest little town of Fredericksburg. A stop at the town candy shop, a couple potty stops, and a peach stand later, we were on our merry way home.



A couple months from now, the kids and I will likely return to Fredericksburg to pick our own peaches like we did last year. It will be hot and miserable and we will swear we will never do it again. Until we get home and have pounds and pounds of this delectable fruit, of which we will make shakes and cobblers. Fredericksburg peaches have mystical powers that lure you in, I tell you.

2 comments:

stian said...

Love Kate's long braid!! You're really funny! And looking good!!! Also, super cool story about the tadpoles and shrimp! That is crazy!

Gretchen said...

Every time I read your blog I'm reminded how awesome you and your family are. It makes me miss you soooo much. You guys are just the best. You are the best mom. I am so glad you are having another one. He/she?? is lucky to be coming to your family.