Thursday, July 10, 2014

Summer... so far

I'm not exactly sure what I was expecting going in to our first real summer, the kind that gives you a break from daily all-day school. But it sure wasn't this, and I couldn't be happier about it.

The first Monday of the summer, we had our summer-is-supposed-to-be-awesome-but-don't-fry-your-brains Family Home Evening lesson. We made a list of all the things we want to do this summer. I told them it would take all summer to do them. I then told them that their Kindergarten teachers would be so sad if they got to first grade and had forgotten all that they had learned. I also told them that summer is about hanging out and having fun, and yes, even playing video games. Hoorays could be heard down the street, I'm sure. So, we set up, what we call, "the Summer Program," because we're creative like that. 
It's a three-part system.
1. We made our summer bucket list of all the super awesome things we want to do this summer. Kate was really reaching for the stars when she suggested, "watch birds fly." I guess that sort of thing doesn't happen around here unless you put it on a checklist.
2.  Each book/chapter they read, page they write in their journal, or math worksheet they do, they earn 10 minutes of screen time. I know, I'm pretty lenient. It's summer, people. They are allowed to "cash in" for their screen time once they've earned at least 30 minutes, although they can go all the way to an hour if they'd like.
3. Job tags. My kids are pretty darn amazing when it comes to doing chores. I'm so thankful for that. But to add to their regular daily chores, every morning after swim, they pull a job tag. For memory's sake, those jobs include:
  • Prepare the downstairs for Roomba (the iRobot vacuum) and run it
  • dust downstairs
  • dust upstairs
  • clean 1 bathroom (toilet, shower, sink, empty trash). x3
  • clean out/ vacuum car
  • clean/ organize room
  • clean/ organize playroom
  • wipe counters, kitchen table/ chairs
  • take the toy bin (we keep a bin downstairs of all the toys that make their way down) upstairs and put all the toys away
If we get to week's end and all jobs have been done, they get a free day. I'm such a giving boss.


I had visions of stacks of books being read and hours behind the screen. 



They do probably redeem 30 minutes every other day or so, but there's a whole lot more creativity going on than I had imagined. 

Pirate ships have been built


Lots of forts.


And Legos. So. Many. Legos.


I couldn't be happier. I've never once heard a complaint about more screen time, or more importantly, being bored. They really have had so much fun, just simply being home. And I have had a blast with my little compadres. They're a good team, these 3.

Fighting, you ask? Oh, yeah. None of that. None at all. No fighting in this house. Ever. All love and sharing and telling each other how much we love each other. We've even written poems and songs about how much we love each other. 

And before you go feeling sorry for them being cooped in the house all day, we've had a little bit of fun, crossing those things off our list, too.

Six Flags

 Peach Picking

the Lake

Swim Team:





Swim team has been a lot of fun. It's Monday-Thursday at 8am and meets Thursday evenings. I was worried they'd want out after 2 days, but they have really loved it. Good thing, too. If there's one thing Texans do, it's swim! Not pictured are the almost daily trips to the neighborhood pool. 

Oh, and the house. Much to their chagrin, lots of meetings at the house. They are not fans of this part of their summer one bit. But a little more than one month (ONE MONTH!!!) from now, we won't have to visit the house, we'll be in it. Can. Not. Wait.

GREAT summer so far. And considering the latter half of our summer includes trips to Minnesota and California, and moving into our new house, I'd say we can safely count this summer as a win.

3 comments:

alisha said...

Your kids are awesome! I can't believe you'll be in your new place in a month! I'm so excited for you.

Anonymous said...

lo, my former Bishop wrote a childrens book.....Lucas Lightfoot and the Fire Crystal....by Hugo Haselhuhn and his grandson Luke Cowdell. You can get in on Amazon. I'd love to know what the twins think!
You are an amazing mom. Love you, aunt Susan

Whitney said...

Love this! And I totally just pinned it on pinterest. Is that weird to you? Way to go, mom!