We just got back from an amazing family trip down to South Padre Island. It's an island off the coast of Brownsville, the very southern tip of Texas.
It's no Newport, but you know what? It's pretty close.
There were six families in all. We stayed in these cute little condos right on the beach and it was just sublime. Here's the group shot. (We took this photo Sunday evening on our "Sunday stroll" to the sand dunes. The beaches by us had the seaweed swept every morning.)
I could live out the rest of my days here in Texas, and I don't think I'll ever get used to the sun rising over the ocean, instead of setting.
The kids must have felt like they were in a dream, with so many friends to play with and so much sand to stick to their bodies.
One day, we went to this Sea Turtle rescue center. It was really cool. They find turtles that have been injured, nurse them back to health and are able to release about 90% of them back to the ocean. This one here, Gerry, is famous (even met Jonny Carson!) and is now too spoiled to go back to the ocean. She likes her romaine to be hand-fed to her, thank you very much.
This pic was also taken by the sand dunes. How beautiful is that?
What's a family vacay without a serious water gun fight?
Every night, we went crab-hunting. It was the highlight of the trip for most of the kids. We had to go out after dark, so head lamps and flashlights were required. Maybe that was got Drew so excited.
These were serious crabs, I dare say. Not those glorified bugs you dig up at Newport. And they are FAST! The kids fearlessly chased them with their nets.
I stayed at a safe distance. To take pictures, of course.
The last picture I took of the trip. Drew and Justin. Cutest little blonde buddies. And their truck.
Great trip. Can't wait till next year.





















2 comments:
What an amazing vacation. Loved the photo diary! Are these new friends from San Antonio or old friends from Huston?
Looks like a lot of fun! Love the family pic.
Post a Comment