Thursday, July 4, 2013

Fort Sam Houston

 All out of order here, but 4th of July... Fort Sam Houston... It felt right.
My mom came to visit us a couple weeks back. Did a whole lot of hanging out. Very little picture-taking. But we did make a stop at Fort Sam Houston- the Army base my grandma and grandpa (Darling and Bumpa) were stationed for the first few years of their marriage. 
It was WWII and he has some great stories. One of my favorites involves one of his assistants (Bumpa was a dentist) who was a German POW. One Monday morning, he told my grandpa how he had taken a train to Milwaukee to visit a relative. Huh???? POW taking a train to Milwaukee? My grandpa asked him why would he come back? But I guess being  POW in Texas was better than going back to Germany. Little different than the stories we hear of POW camps in other countries, no? 
I know they weren't all the same.
None of them got to work with my grandpa. I get it. I'd rather work under him than go back to Germany, too.
Anywho, we had a great time roaming around the base. It was quite beautiful. I wasn't expecting that, I must admit.
But there were tanks and other military-type stuff hanging out just for viewing pleasure.
 Captain America felt right at home.
 This is the hospital where Bumpa worked. Ain't it perty?

 Good old Abe.
 We also went to the Riverwalk one morning and took the boat tour. No Chicago Architecture boat tour, but it was pretty cool. 
The sun was so bright, however, that Ethan's right eye completely disappeared. It was quite unfortunate.
 
And this, the only picture I got of their beloved Nana.
We already miss her.

2 comments:

packermom said...

Love this post....so interesting. I never knew all this about Bumpa. The kids are adorable as ever.

danielle said...

only one pic of grandma - but its a really good one.